Sign in to follow this  

Spedo error?

I just bought an "05 S model on Friday and am really enjoying the ride. Put on 200 miles this weekend, 1/2 road, 1/2 dirt.

Issue #1: My spedometer readings all seem to be ~5 mph high. I went through radar zones, rode next to other bikes and cars and they all say I'm doing 5 mph less than my spedo says. Has anyone seen this before or have an easy fix besides going back to the dealer?

Issue #2: The bike hesitates toward higher RPMs. This happened more in the dirt. I'm in Colorado (5000 to 9000 ft altitude) so I'm pretty sure this is a jetting issue. Could this at all be a break in issue and not the carb?

Ride on!

my speedo says 100mph while my GPS says 90mph

stock gearing, stock UK 05 model bike

Speedometer for almost all of us is 10% off. So, closer at lower speeds. Funny thing, the odometer is fairly accurate (plus you can adjust it, but not the speedo. You just learn to live with it.

Yes, surging is a carb issue. Start with jetting for your alittude. You will see many notes about 3x3 modification and the Dyno Jet kit. That will get you on the to optimal setup for the S model carb. Use the forum search feature on 3x3 and it will lead you to a couple of sites with pictures and instructions.

Good luck. It's a nice bike.

I noticed that as well. About 10% off stock and about 20% off with 17's. I picked up a SM speedo gear and it is about 1 MPH off now up to about 35 MPH. With Stock 15/44 and D606 Knobbies. I did not test higher because of a 25 MPH speed limit. :applause:

my speedo was reading 35mph's faster than acutaual speed for about a month then onw day it was back to normal so im curious too about this problem,its been finje now for a few months. :applause:

Welcome...Like all Japanese bikes for the most part you will find the speedo to read high. Mine at an indicated 70 mph is actually about 62 / 63 mph by GPS. And, the fast you go the bigger the error....To get the best performance from your bike you'll need to re-jet and do the 3x3 air box mod. The elevation changes you indicated are pretty extreme even for the good elevation compensating Mikuni BSR36 mm CV carb. And, the bikes are jetted miserably lean from the factory. Read DRZ FAQ to learn more... :applause:

Thanks for the replies and for assuring me this is "normal." I was planning to do the carb mods to open it up to breathe better at the high altitude. I grew up around bikes but never had a brand new one and am a little cautious to start my custom modifications on week #1.

Can anyone clairify for me; do the $50-60 carb kits I see online have a selection of tuning options or do i have to specify when I order? Seems like most of what I see on this site specs great setups for low altitudes but I'd hate to spend money and time to have to go through this several iterations before I'm happy.

Sounds like I'll never miss the stock performance though.