Rally Fairing?

Anyone know were to get a small universal rally fairing?

Something to protect a gps or rollchart mounted above the instruments with a bit of a lip on top to flip the air up when logging the high speed miles.

Would like to add something like this to my TE610E for a bit of a Dakar look.

I figured I will have to make my own, but thought I would throw the question out there, someone must make them.

something like this?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/dakarbike002.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/dakarbike005.jpg

i looked all over for a dakar type fairing - i bought one from england--it was a POS.

i found custom builders in France but it was more than $1K for the set up.

after months of trying to figure out a good source i built my own.

There are two ways to do it:

Attached to triple clamps

Attached to frame and or fuel tank.

I went with triple clamps so i could turn the wheel at night and light up the way...crossroads, sanddunes, etc. There is a little bit of weight and i am not sure thats the best way to go--but its not bad either. The team KTM bikes attach it to the frame to save the load on the rider.

Anyway--i took a Baja Designs 'Tecate' light (with halogen and HID lights) and bolted a windscreen from a BMW F650GS 'Dakar' model. Windscreen goes over the plastic with the little halogen light getting bolted into the windscreen.

The tricky part is making a new brace to attach the unit to the bike.... I had a local shop make one up for me.

Go forward - over the middle of the fender - and higher up than you might think when fitting it.... Doesnt affect trail riding and leaves lots of room for GPS, or roadbook or whatever...plus up a bit means no wind or rain. Its AWESOME.

Someone really should go into production with a unit like this. You can cruise the freeways, ride in the snow/rain, etc.

Hope that helps.

Post a pic if ya get it done.

Irondude that is exactly what I'm talking about, that looks too cool! :eek:

I had forgot about the BMW 650 fairing! I have eyeballed those a time or two and wished I could adapt one to the Husky. Thanks for the info and the pics, I'm on a mission now! :applause:

Although I just dropped a chunk of change on a Cagiva Gran Canyon, with the Ducati 900 v-twin monster motor for a "adventure pavement bike" it's a lot of fun! The wife is on alert for more moto stuff but I just tell here it followed me home. ?

i hear ya on the wife alerts...

you can make a fairing like that for around $600. $130 for the windscreen, $250 or so for the BD light, and a few hundies for the mount and all.

i've tested it for 6 months...works great. it also has a little 'trunk' in it (6" piece of 4 inch pvc) that holds wallet, keys, levers, tubes, etc...

more pics if ya want em.

yeah its not easy to find them...

here are some ideas:

http://www.atic.org/accessory/windscreen.html

again- i bought one like these from the UK and it was a POS. Looked cool but it was for guys in London who commuted to work and wanted to look cool...thing wouldnt last a day off-road.

Its either $300 for a cheap imitation or $1k+ for the real deal from outfits like monnier in france, or african queens in germany.

i found some very high end suppliers by going to the dakar website (www.dakar.com) and checking out the websites of the entrants. many have links and pics of the suppliers...i emailed a few of them but it was all super way to expensive...

heres some pics of the mount.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/dakarbike1002.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/dakarbike004.jpg

note the position over the front fender. farther forward than i would have guessed but it works well. Also the two pieces of black PVC that are for storage...the red pressure fit covers are easily removable-one tube can carry the beacon and parts and the other a satellite phone--both dont need tools to access--this is as per the dakar rules. yes i have a dream!

perhaps the best set up would be to have both a mount on the triple clamps to move a light with the handlbars (it really is a nice feature)--AND a mount welded to the frame to carry the GPS and roadbook. I mounted the large GPS unit to the cross bar of the handlbars--just becouse i was out of room and thats how others have done it...

if you make a mount for the TE610 let me know how it goes as i might sell this beast and build a dakar husky...

ya might want to try Baja Designs.

Worth giving them a call. They have some special 3 inch or so extended out mounts that go right on to the plastic shell and then into a receiver that hose clamps to the fork tubes between the triple clamps.

we use them on the baja race lights. work great.

Thanks! You can see some serious thought and workmanship went into that mount. I don't have quite the serious Rally aspirations, so I think my mount would be a bit more simple.

Norman

Hey Norman,

I am thinking about gettting the BMW 650 dakar fairing and doing the same sort of thing irondude did except fitting it on the stock Husky headlight/numberplate. Then building a bracket back to the fork tubes to hold the fairing and also supply a mount for a handheld gps above the instruments. Is that kind of what your thinking too?

Steve

This is the factory set-up:

http://www.husqvarna.it/image_display.php?image=503_01116576361&text=

http://www.husqvarna.it/image_display.php?image=503_11116576371&text=

http://www.husqvarna.it/image_display.php?image=503_21116576381&text=

Thats Real clean!, but Irondude gets the prize for mounting more hardware to the bars! Do you need all of that stuff for a Baja type race or is it more of a rally thing? I am just curious. One of these days I want to do a Baja race, I figure you need a chart and GPS and a big a$$ light. What else is needed?

Thanks!

Tony

all that stuff on the black bike is for the dakar rallye

the factory hsukies doing the shorter rallies in europe and the egyptian Rallye des Pharoes this year will just use one ICO tripmeter and the A5 size roadbook that you see mounted off a brace on the upper triple...

for baja ya dont need any of that stuff...the course is well marked and burned in from prerunning. but yeah a big light or two is a good idea for the 1000--which is 6 am start and then dark around 6pm...so its 8-9 hours or more of night-racing....often thru the fog---with some dust--nothing like the glare of dust/fog with 2 big HID's at 3 am after 20 hours of racing doing 75mph on a wooped out ranch road and only another 200 miles to go!

if you have the idea to race the 1000--go for it. its a truly amazing experience to race past 150,000 spectators. :applause:

Hey Norman,

I am thinking about gettting the BMW 650 dakar fairing and doing the same sort of thing irondude did except fitting it on the stock Husky headlight/numberplate. Then building a bracket back to the fork tubes to hold the fairing and also supply a mount for a handheld gps above the instruments. Is that kind of what your thinking too?

Steve

Steve,

That's exactly what I'm thinking about.

Norman

Thanks Iron-dude! That's a relief about the instruments! Rollcharts and ICO's while necessary in Enduro's really annoy me. The night riding sounds pretty scary but probably adrenaline filled. I would like to do a 500 before I get too old. It has been one of my dreams since a teenager watching any Sunday for the first time.

I stopped and looked at BMW 650 windshield today. The dealer is going to let me pop it off and line it up with headlight mask on my TE610E. With the two sharp corners on the Husky mask, it may not line up quite as nice as smooth curved BD mask. I'll report back.

Norman

Norman-

Remember there are several different shapes and sizes for the 650GS.

My local BMW dealer had three different ones in stock and i actually brought the BD plastic into the dealer and tried them out. Unfortunately i dont remember which one i bought.

There are also clear, and dark (i got dark and like it)

and there is tall and regular. I got tall and recommend that if you want 100% wind/rain protection.

keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
I stopped and looked at BMW 650 windshield today. The dealer is going to let me pop it off and line it up with headlight mask on my TE610E. With the two sharp corners on the Husky mask, it may not line up quite as nice as smooth curved BD mask. I'll report back.

Norman

Hi Norman,

Just wondering if you got a chance to line the bmw fairing up on your 610 to see how it would fit. I would think a guy could take a dremel tool and mod it to fit the Husky headlight assembly without too much trouble.

Steve

• 1 month later...

No old or new 650's at dealer today to check windshields. :applause: The plus side is I'm friends with the service manager/mechanic and he gave me a R1150GS windshield that was a warranty return for cracks by the mounting holes. :banghead: A little time with the bandsaw and it should be good. It will be good to have a fairing now, because I work 2 days a week 75 miles away and I am bringing the bike along and riding back and forth as my box van work truck only gets 10mpg. As it gets colder fairing will be nice. I'll post some pics of the work in progress.

Norman

• 1 year later...

reviving this thread as Irondudes mail is full up...

Hey Irondude,

I really the way you incorporated the Dakar Screen with the Tecate Light. So much so I ordered the Tecate and will soon get the screen to go with it. I wonder if you could tell me how you mounted the screen to the tecate plastic? It looks like you attatched straight to the plastic and not to the metal plate? Thanks for the inspiration and any advice on the angle of the screen for best wind protection will also be greatly appreciated.

Dan

BTW I own a Husky TE-610