Sign in to follow this  

450 good for me?

I am comming off of a cr125. I just bought this bike a month ago. I like it but i would like more power. I had a crf230 before the cr and liked the 4 stroke power. I was just thinking if a crf450 would be a bike i would love and have no regrets about. I hear they have big valve issues and other engine problems.Will this accur if i constantly pamper the bike? I also saw the yamaha wr426. I will mainly be doing trail riding so this bike looked pretty nice. I was wondering if there was a reason i saw some of the 01's so cheap, around 2300? Any way im 6.3 and weigh 165 lbs. If there are anyother bikes i would like, please tell me and why. I dont want a 2 sroke any more cause its always in the power band, and thats annoying after awhile. thank you

get the 450. im on a 230 and wish to have a 450! do it man! :applause:

i didnt really like the crf 450 i rode it felt heavy and like you were sitting on the motor andi t turned like shit i never rode any of the others but maybe im just werid just some food for thought

I would definately get a 450, it seems to be your only choice for more power and 4 stroke in the same.

I would say go with the 450 honda or yamaha both are great. You can get and older honda 450 so it would be a little better $ wise.

I came off a 426. It was a great bike, just a little hard to start and felt alot heavier.

Good luck, and I responded to your PM

I've rode/raced for years, both 2 and 4 strokes. I came off of a KX 250 and bought an 05 CRF 450. Not because the KX was a bad bike, I just wanted to try a 4 stroke. My KX was actually a great trail bike, it had great low end and I had it tuned great for trails. If you've never ridden a 250 two stroke then you should try out one because they are less expensive than a 450, have great power, and you don't necessarily have to keep them on the pipe like you do a 125 two stroke.

My 450 is an excellent handling bike, more so than a lot of the 250 two strokes I've ridden. It has plenty of power that I'll never use, handles great, and I've had no valve problems. Any bike, 2 or 4 stroke that you get needs regular maintenance, and when you hear about value problems it's probably because they are not being maintained correctly or are being ignored. If you take good care of your bikes and perform maintenance regularly the valve problems are a non issue.

Basically it comes down to your preference, but try to ride as many types of bikes as you can before you make your final decision or form an opinion about types of bikes.