Sign in to follow this  

Brake disk lock

I took my WR400 to the Giants Despair hill climb on Sunday.

I put my Disc lock on the rear of the bike to secure it.

Watched the race for a while, went to move the bike and guess what, I left the key at home!!! :eek:

Now I'm in a dilemma, I'm on top of a mountain, bikes locked, I'm by myself, hundreds of strangers around.

I'm weighing my options, walk down and up the mountain to my house, in riding boots, around 40 minutes both ways, leaving the bike behind.

So i pondered the situation.

Took out my tools, took out all the bolts in the disk, slid the axle bolt just short of the brake caliper, and slid out the disk with the lock still on it. :applause:

Just rode the bike down the mountain with front brakes, and engine compression.

Two morals to this story.

1. Don't forget your keys.

2. It only took me a couple of minutes to take the disk off, and put it back together, not to secure.

Wow that sucks man. Hey at least you didnt do like I did once and I had the disc lock on the front and I went to go move my bike and bent the disc a little and I was mad but I got it fixed and was able to ride. My disc lock that I have doesnt alow me to lock the disc with out the key but anyway that does show that they are not really good for locking your bike. you know what I do is I put the disc lock through the disc and the spokes so its double locked so even if they get the disc off they got to get it off the rim and if they take the couple of spokes off the rim or cut them or what ever the bike will be no good to them to ride and they would have to spend at least $500 for a new rear rim so.

I use a 4-digit combo lock through the disc, or sometimes through the rear sprocket. Take a vinyl vacuum cap and punch a small hole through it. Take the cap off of the shackle and put over the ignition switch. (or use a smaller one and put it on your key)

I started doing that after forgetting about the lock. Luckily I didn't damage anything.

I found I could pick my disc lock with a cap from a Bic pen. :applause:

Get one of those bungies that goes from the lock to your handlebars.

It helps prevent the "Krypto Endo."

you must not have seen the article and video that said that kryptonite is recalling and I beleive replacing those locks for people because they found that they were pickable by a pen go to kryptonite.com and look there was a thing on there about a month ago.

you must not have seen the article and video that said that kryptonite is recalling and I beleive replacing those locks for people because they found that they were pickable by a pen go to kryptonite.com and look there was a thing on there about a month ago.

WOW

Thanks for the info, My lock is one being recalled.

I never would have known. :applause:

I applied for a replacement today.

Thanks

Chuck