Sign in to follow this  

Any known issues with the 04 cfr250r?

Thanks for the input on what you guys would pay now I havea different question. Are their any known issues with the 04' 250r? Such as slipping out of gear, engine problems and such. Oh and my dad wants to buy this bike and he weighs about 220lbs. Will the suspension be suffecint can it adjust to suite his size?

Thanks,

Nate

Yes, absolutly...Do a search with the word "probleme" or even......."valves". :applause:

Oh and my dad wants to buy this bike and he weighs about 220lbs. Will the suspension be suffecint can it adjust to suite his size?

Thanks,

Nate

The stock springs are not stiff enough for a 220lb guy. You are going to need stiffer springs to get the most out of it, say, a 5.8 rear and .49 fronts.

Problems, keep a fresh piston in it to stop the slap from breaking a skirt....I would not go past ~35-40 hours without replacing a piston especially under a hard rider that uses the revs alot.

Valves will need be checked every 10 hours or so if you like to bang the rev limiter.

Keep the air filter CLEAN after every ride and change the oil after every 2-3 rides or 3-5 hours at most run time...

Take the stock clutch, get an extra steel OEM plate, install it into the middle of the stack, and run 850cc of oil in the tranny. Use stock springs, watch the basket for grooves and replace with aftermarket when needed.

Enjoy the bike. Properly maintained it will give you much fun and good rides! :applause:

The stock springs are not stiff enough for a 220lb guy. You are going to need stiffer springs to get the most out of it, say, a 5.8 rear and .49 fronts.

Problems, keep a fresh piston in it to stop the slap from breaking a skirt....I would not go past ~35-40 hours without replacing a piston especially under a hard rider that uses the revs alot.

Valves will need be checked every 10 hours or so if you like to bang the rev limiter.

Keep the air filter CLEAN after every ride and change the oil after every 2-3 rides or 3-5 hours at most run time...

Take the stock clutch, get an extra steel OEM plate, install it into the middle of the stack, and run 850cc of oil in the tranny. Use stock springs, watch the basket for grooves and replace with aftermarket when needed.

Enjoy the bike. Properly maintained it will give you much fun and good rides! :applause:

what will it do by adding the extra steel plate in the clutch pack ???

Known issues. Yes. Valves. Honda needs to do something. There valves suck. :eek:

P.S. Bubba get 450, Bubba beat Ricky :applause:🙂

what will it do by adding the extra steel plate in the clutch pack ???

Increased stack thickness for a bit more spring preload and more wear range before the stack becomes too thin. Honda messed up a bit. The extra steel plate does wonders.

Known issues. Yes. Valves. Honda needs to do something. There valves suck. 🙂

P.S. Bubba get 450, Bubba beat Ricky :eek:😛

spoken like a true fan boy... :applause: get a clue, then try again...

Increased stack thickness for a bit more spring preload and more wear range before the stack becomes too thin. Honda messed up a bit. The extra steel plate does wonders.

so right now i have over 100 hours on my bike, and it doesnt slip or have any problems.... but should i still try and add this extra plate? is it critical as to where i add it in the pack?

ran my 04 from 1/04 to 6/05.

never had a valve problem. exhaust sides never moved. stayed at .010-.011

intakes went from .005 new down to .003. by 12/04 - i ride up high and yes i bounce off the limiter at times... how else are you supposed to go fast on a small bore?

end of 04 i put in fresh piston and rings and new valves and springs..... motor has been great....flawless

HOWEVER, i did have a mainshaft bearing go bad, twice. its the bearing on the left case opposite side of the clutch basket on the common shaft. changed my oil every other ride with the honda red bottle 800cc. 1st time it went 7/04, nothing catastrophic happened. changed all the trans. bearings and all went well. then blew big time 6/05. this time it took everything with it, case, shaft, some gears,etc. i cant understand why, my honda tech friend was stumped...sold the bike as a basket case. i didnt feel like dumping in 900 bucks in parts.

hope it was just a fluke. got 5 rides on my 05, so far so good.

i dont want to paint a bleak picture or scare anyone. other than the bearing going, the 04 bike has been great.

spoken like a true fan boy... :applause: get a clue, then try again...

I see you have over 6,000 posts, dang, someone needs to get a life :eek:

I see you have over 6,000 posts, dang, someone needs to get a life :applause:

*slaps jtrone with a wet g-string* 🙂

I post alot from work, what can I say :eek:

I see you have over 6,000 posts, dang, someone needs to get a life :applause:

Don't mess w/ therapture. He posts good info. His avatar's scare the hell out of me :eek:

im about to buy a crf 250r and i weight 210 lbs. i ride alot of trails, dunes and just a few jumps and i wondered if the stalk suspension on the bike is too stiff. if it is what should i do?

im about to buy a crf 250r and i weight 210 lbs. i ride alot of trails, dunes and just a few jumps and i wondered if the stalk suspension on the bike is too stiff. if it is what should i do?

No, it will be too SOFT...I am 200lbs, using a 5.5 rear and .47 fronts...those are stock 450 spring rates by the way...regardless of what terrain you ride, the spring on a specific model is there to set ride height and chassis attitude for turning and bumps. Of course the spring rate can vary a bit but stock is too soft for a 210lb rider...especially in sand...

therapture. What is your Job?

parts mgr. for a small toyota dealership....pretty gravy most of the time... :applause: