Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha TT500 Timing...Need Some help.

Just stumbled across a tt500 at my parents cabin...Its in good shape but...motors timing is messed up. I need to reset it. I don't have a manual so how do I find tdc and where does the cam need to be when the piston is at tdc? I would love to get this thing running but only have to weeks till I leave...So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody has manual for this bike or knows where the dot on the cam is suppose to be at tdc? Please help....this thing is just begging to run.

The cam position shouldn't need adjusting as it is in a fixed location via the cam chain. There should be marks on the mag for TDC and advance for strobe timing. To accurately determine TDC, you'll need a dial indicator through the spark plug hole. Also, does it still have the original points ignition? By this time most have been replaced with an electronic ignition.

Most of the TT I've come across are still points, I think they went to factor CDI in 1980 or 81. The points work fine on the TT. Undue the valve covers and ignition cover, turn the ignition counter clock wise until the 'F' lines up with the pointer and both rockers are loose (does it really matter?), this is where your points should start opening. If you have a cam timing issue.....get a manual since I think you'll need one. Are you getting spark? Why do you think the timing is out? MD

The motor's cam timing is out b/c someone, my brother I think messed with the timing b/c the thought maybe it had jumped time. My dad told me they messed with the cam timing and it never ran again. I called the local motorcyle place today and they told me where the cam dot on the cam was suppose to be at TDC. I put it back together right and the exhaust valve appears to be opening at the correct time. But looking in the exhaust port it doesn't look like it is seating all the way. Which was my fear. The valves may have been bent when they put the motor back together with the wrong timing. So tomorrow I'm going to pull the head an see if the valves are bent. It just doesn't feel like it has the compression it should. I can turn the motor over with my hand on the kick start?. I haven't even messed with the ignition timing yet...just trying to get the internal timing right and go from there. I have a manual on the way...hopefully it gets here in time to do some good. I definitely need one.

Pulled the head off...valves hit the piston b/c timing was off. So I need new valves and to have the head machined. But don't know if time will allow this. We'll see hopefully I get everything done in time to ride this thing. Anybody a complete head they can part with?