Sign in to follow this  

Crf is hard to start...HELP PLEASE

I have and 03 crf 450 and this past weekend i got to the races and unloaded it and it started, and i rode it through the pits, and then parked it it would not start after that, i kicked and kicked and it wouldn't even try to start, and then we changed the spark plug, and it was dry, i had the choke on and everything before changing the plug and also used the hot start and it wouldn't turn over, and we figured it wasn't getting gas or somethin cause the plug was dry but i'm not sure, we ended up having to pull start it and it ran, and i went out in practice, and parked it and it wouldn't start it hadn't been off 5 mins, and then the rest of the night it started fine, and then it shut off in the second moto on me, and wouldn't start again so i pushed it back to the pits and let it sit and then it started right up, and sunday morning it started fine along with yesterday evening i rode it around a bit and parked it and it didn't wnat to start again, i'm lost i can't figure out whats wrong with it, if any of u guys can help me or have an ideal of what may be wrong let me kno, thanks a bunch, justin.

Just went through this with 04. One day starting fine, then brutal to start. So I took off my valve cover and checked my valves. Intakes were hammerred into the seats...no clearence. Tore apart the top end....intakes were bad!! I checked them 8 rides ago and they were bang on...when they go, they go. Putting new intakes in tonight.

T

After problem occurred was it running like normal, any power loss?

Sounds like it could be a fuel problem but I would take a compression check. A bad valve can cause the engine to start miserably too.

it didn't seem like it had a loss of power, i actually just went out and started it, its started right up first kick, and i shut it off and started it after about 5 kicks, and did that about 4 times, and then i shut it off the last time, and it wouldn't start at all, i'm going to take it to my local shop tomarrow and see what they can do for me, thanks guys.

Drain some gas out of the bottom of the carb and see what color it is. Also make sure it still smells like gas. Modern fuel goes to crap quick and the CRF450 will not run on crap gas. One other thing to try is to make sure you

have it TDC (top-dead-center) when you first try to fire it up. My 04 will start first kick every time, hot or cold, so long as it is kicked from TDC. How soon we forget that all that great power comes a price. :applause:

04 CRF450 (me)

03 CRF150 (wide)

05 CRF50 (kids)

I think a compression check may be a good place to start, as was suggested.

Since your plug was dry, maybe it's a simple fuel problem. Make sure you're using fresh gas. You may want to take the tank and petcock off the bike, drain the tank, and remove the petcock. There is a small, round filter screen on top of the petcock that extends into the tank. Maybe you've gotten some junk in your gas and that filter is a bit clogged. I know that I always try to eliminate the simple stuff like that first. If you have fuel, and a spark at close to the right time, it should run or fire a bit.

Valves wouldn't be the end of the world, but a clogged screen would be much simpler.