Sign in to follow this  

1/2 after market/ 1/2 stock

I just got an idea. It's probably stupid but respond anyway. The front end shocks on my TTR 125L '01 are way too soft even w/ 15w oil (as compared to 10 stock). I just put a longer spacer in so i'll see if that makes a diff.

my idea...

What if i bought an after market springs and chopped them in half. And chopped my stock springs in halfand placed them on top of each other. what would that do?? any ideas???

I think it might make it handle the light stuff good due to hte soft shock, then it would handle the big stuff well too cuz' of the firm shock springs

The ttr125 has a front spring rate of .38kg/mm. Cutting them in half would yield a .72 rate except for the new dead coil on the cut end. An aftermarket spring of .50 rate cut in half would give 1.0. Stacked, the two springs would be have a .50 primary rate and a 1.0 secondary rate. The 1.0 rate would not kick in untill the .50 had closed out.

KC

If your going to buy new springs anyway, just go with the tried and true method of getting the correct springs for your weight.

Yes, just buy the correct springs for your weight, assuming someone makes them for that bike.

As far as adding a longer spacer, don't make it too long as you will run out of travel. That basically adjusts the initial tension on the spring, or what is known as preload. The spring's rate (stiffness) will still be the same once it starts to compress. It will just take a little bit more pressure to get it started on compressing. You won't keep it from bottoming out is the main point.

The ttr125 has a front spring rate of .38kg/mm. Cutting them in half would yield a .72 rate except for the new dead coil on the cut end. An aftermarket spring of .50 rate cut in half would give 1.0. Stacked, the two springs would be have a .40 primary rate and a 1.0 secondary rate. The 1.0 rate would not kick in untill the .40 had closed out.

KC

And he knows...... :applause:

doc

I might get the BBR springs. Does anyone have them?