Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse Rocks!

Wow, I put in a pretty good week of woods riding with the new Rekluse, and I really, really like it. One thing that I've noticed is that I seem to have better engine breaking on decents than previously. I know the bike was designed that way for racing, but the Rekluse seems to have made a favorable change for woods riding. In the Rekluse literature it talks about freewheeling going down hills and such. Even in tight, slow down hills I never had it freewheel. Maybe the obvious answer is to keep the bike in a low enough gear that even without throttle the revs stay up enough for the Rekluse to stay engaged?

Riding the bike in tight stuff is a blast now. I really enjoyed it when I started to tire out a bit, before having to clutch so much just made it worse, now I can slow down without having to worry about all that clutch use. Sections where I wanted to go slower to enjoy some views or whatever were much easier. The bike feels almost impossible to stall now. Finding neutral became easier as it broke in a bit, but is always very easy using the clutch to click it in.

I can't imagine having a 450R that is primarily a woods bike without a Rekluse. We're heading to some more open desert riding in a couple of weeks, and I'm anxious to try it in that environment. Certainly it won't make as big a difference when there is more wide open, less shifting, but I bet it's still a welcome addition.

would you say it takes alot of the "race" out of it?i have a 05 and i mostly offroad but i have left it motocrooss for times when i wanna get on it.but with stock gearing and flywheel you have to get real good with the clutch or you can just do what i do.Fall over and cuss as you lift the bike back up and look for damage and new scratches.the rekluse may help.

Your comments are making me want one! These things are money pits. Who ever thinks buying the bike is the expensive part is crazy. I have spent a ton of money in gear and upgrades and I have only had the bike since May.

My wife is freekin out!

Ditto, paid cash for the bike but have spent a small fortune on all the extras, if my wife knew how much she'd kill me. I can't stop spending money on this thing!

I ride open dez and tight single track.............the Rekluse is a bonus EVERWHERE I ride. No panic brake stalling, less arm pump and it's absolutely magic in single track. Regardless of the bike, I'll never have one without it! :applause:

it is that great, eh? I guess I will have to do it too dont want to be the only one still stalling. :applause:

Can you still clutch it to do a wheel stand? Or does it act funny, how is it if you end up in an all out drag race. Basically is there any negitive? There has to be something.

I checked out the website looks like a super easy to do.

thanks

SC

The bike feels almost impossible to stall now.

I think it is impossible! I don't ride offroad, but a friend who does brought his rekluse equipped 450 to the track one day and I rode it just to see what it was like. I went down one straight wide open in 4th gear and just mashed both brakes with no downshifts until I stopped and it just sat there purring in 4th gear...amazing. I prefer the manual clutch for mx, but the rekluse seems like a must have for offroading, it's like riding a giant XR50!

No, I sure wouldn't say it takes the race out of the 450. It still has the hit and will wheelie just as easily. I also went to a 52t rear sprocket and a +15oz flywheel previously. The Rekluse has capped it off, and I think it is an awesome woods bike now.

from what i understand its prety adjustable right?sort of like a slipper clutch or a clutch on drag car.comes on quick or less for low traction?how much?and how hard to install?

It's pretty adjustable, and easily if you get the optional perch adjuster that mounts on the clutch perch. You also have a choice of two springs for the type of engagement that you want.

The installation is pretty straight forward. If you can replace a clutch, you can put a Rekluse in. The only thing slightly tricky is all of the small balls that are used, you need to be carefull to not let one fall and get where you can't get it out. They have excellent customer service, and you can talk with someone familiar with the install on your particular bike if you need some help.

it is that great, eh? I guess I will have to do it too dont want to be the only one still stalling. :applause:

Can you still clutch it to do a wheel stand? Or does it act funny, how is it if you end up in an all out drag race. Basically is there any negitive? There has to be something.

I checked out the website looks like a super easy to do.

thanks

SC

If you buy the perch adjuster, the clutch feel is super light........so you can't really "feather" the clutch. If you don't get the perch adjuster, you eliminate the clutch lever all together. All out drag races are just the same as a normal CRF, except you shift when you let off of the gas (unloading the tranny). There is no loss of HP or speed. Once the clutch locks in, just let her roost! The only real down side is that you can't bump start the bike. As far a wheelies.......just gas and pull or drop a gear, no problem. It really is like cheating in the tight stuff and yes, it is like a long traveled, 50 HP XR 50!

I have used a Rekluse for about a year now. It's a great product and does improve your abilities in the woods and tech riding. It does have weaknesses which you learn to live with because the benifits out weigh them for most woods riders.

Weak Points:

1) If your throttle ever sticks open your first response better be the kill switch or you are gonna be out of control.

2) Generally speaking if you are running through the gears you need to learn to short shift effectively. Too high an rpm and shifting from one gear to another is difficult.

3) If you retain the clutch lever it does not truly override the Z-start auto clutch. You stilll have to wait for your rpm to drop before it will shift. This is really noticable at speed.

Changes in riding style can overcome these problems to a point that you never even think about them. You simply find yourself doing things much easier than before you had the Rekluse.

I have never had my throttle stick open so that one would be difficult to deal with no matter what.

I suspect and have heard rumors that the next generation Z-Start auto-clutch will have a true lever override. That will be awsome if its true. :applause:

never thought of the throttle sticking and being screwed.thats something to think about but its never happened to me so hmmm.but if they make a true over ride wouldnt be a problem

I suspect and have heard rumors that the next generation Z-Start auto-clutch will have a true lever override. That will be awsome if its true. :applause:

I ran into Patrick from Rekluse at the WORCS race in Lake Havasu this year. He told me that are indeed working on a system that will let you use the clutch like normal and even push start the bike. That would be sweet! I don't know how far from production they are on that system though.