Sign in to follow this  

Second step of break in

Ok, the break in on my 280 is doing great so far. First day rode easy with some power here and there. Let cool every once and awhile. Second day I went a little bit harder on the engine and let cool once or twice. Now I have thirty miles on the new piston and I was wondering should I change the oil now? How many more miles before I can really just open her up?

Thanks!

So Mar, you think I should change the oil now after the initial thirty miles?

i would say you definitely want to vary throttle position during the break in period.

allow the motor to cool between break in periods.

you say 30 miles, but how much time is this.

i would assume it may be an hour or two.

if it has been a couple of hours it is probably safe to get on the throttle a bit.

as far as synthetics, you probably want to wait until you have a couple hundred miles.

Thanks for the advice... Yea its about 2 hours to 3 hours of running. I have done the cool thing between rides. Should I change the oil and oil filter with non synthetic now at this time?

now is probably a safe time to change the oil and filter.

i would continue to use convential oil until you have maybe 200 miles.

the convential oil will allow the rings to fully seat.

I picked my XR440 up from Thumper Racing on Nov.4 2003 and per their recommendation broke it in at the enduro at Muenster on Nov.9, Just ride like you are going to ride it was the advise I got from them and all worked out perfect. Changed the oil to synthetic after the race of appx.65 -70 miles of various terrain and throttle position.All rings seated and I have been extremely happy with the bike every since.Like MAR said different strokes for different folks,and everyone has an opinion,I just used their opinion as they build these things everyday.Just go out and enjoy it,thats what it is for right? :applause:

Everyone has their break-in opinions. I'd take it easy and look for problems for one more ride (another 30-50 miles). You really want to make sure things don't wiggle apart, and you're not leaking anywhere. Afterwards change the oil and ride it like its stolen =)

Question, Im a 2001 xr400, i just rejetted the carb 60 pilot jet,160 main jet. Now i probably need to adjust the valves. Can anyone tell me what to adjust the valves at?What gap? Thanks Paul

Question, Im a 2001 xr400, i just rejetted the carb 60 pilot jet,160 main jet. Now i probably need to adjust the valves. Can anyone tell me what to adjust the valves at?What gap? Thanks Paul

I love these guys that have less than 5 posts and have posted a question that have nothing do do with the thread they are posted in. I know I know thats what I'm doing, but I was just reading the post finding out other opinions on break in proceedures.

There are some really good posts on valve adjustments. Just search on those two words... and feel free to PM me if you want any other tips. You should have a clymer or Honda service manual. I have both.