Valve Question

Ok, I can't imagine how old it must be getting answering these questions but here goes nothing. I race off-road, hair scrambles/enduros, and have not had any problem whatsoever with my valves or bike for that matter(outside of having to drain the gas/carb and changing the oil about 8-9 times after sinking it in about 3 feet of water, heh). It's a 2005 KX250f, and was planning on going ahead and going to the stainless steel valves. Since from what I am hearing, it's basically an ultimate outcome, so in my eyes better to pay quite a bit now while I have the money, than a lot later and not have it. When I do go ahead and get the SS Valves, besides the heavy duty springs, what else needs to be purchased and put in as well? Buckets? Thanks in advance for the help.

You should always go back with new keepers and retainers and it's a good idea to change the valve stem seals while your in there too. The good buckets are a pretty good idea, the stock ones have had problems and the heavier stainless valves do put more strain on the old ones. I went with a DLC coated bucket and they have been perfect so far, they still look new after 30 hours.

You will want to re-cut the seats before installing the new valves also.

Okay.... Well I already know I am going to try getting the Kibblewhite SS valves, simply can't afford WMR due to starting college in the fall. Are the KW spring kits heavy duty or should I try getting the WMR conical springs. Beyond that, where should I look for the others for a combination of reliability and relatively inexpensive, even tho its not like anything is these days... Can we say college?

A good price estimate for redoing the valves, springs, buckets etc.. would be nice as well... so I can start trying to convince my mom and dad who are entirely motorcycle illiterate how good of a deal that is and why we should go ahead and get them now...

I race harescrambles on my o4 kx250f in ks/mo/ok.My last race I attended in april was the death of my bike.I have had kw valves on order since feb.I finally got my valves in mid june,still no tappets.I wish I could tell you how they have worked but I am on month 3 of a dead bike.If I was you buy your new valvetrain parts now so you have them when you want to change them but before something comes apart. I get my parts at 10% over cost from my parts shop I would say I have less than $200 in 4 valves and a spring kit.I would also get the hardened tappets.