Sign in to follow this  

Any Leads on DR-Z250s in Colorado?

My wife is interested in getting a trail bike to go riding with me on my dual-sported XR400. She is 5'4" and a pretty experienced street rider and has ridden a few dirt roads. Her street bike is an F650GS. The trails we want to ride, like Engineer's Pass, would be too rough for her on the F650. She has no intention of jumping or racing, just sightseeing.

I've looked at the various possible trail bikes and it looks to me like the DRZ250 offers a modern platform and higher-tech components than, say, a KLR250 or DR200. I have some questions, though, and they are:

a. Anybody here used Kouba links (or similar) to lower a DRZ250? How did that work?

b. Same re: shaving the seat. My wife wants to be able to get her feet down pretty well - maybe not flat foot, but close. How well does that work?

c. Is the weight, or the way it carries its weight, an issue? My wife has moved my XR400 around in the driveway and said that isn't bad at all.

d. If it were lowered, would it have sufficient suspension for trails? Whoops etc?

Price isn't a huge issue, but if anyone knows of a good deal on a new, unsold 2001 - 2004, please let me know. Also, if anyone knows of one for sale in Colorado, whether new or used.

Any other comments/suggestions/opinions are welcome. Thanks a million, Larry

I've found 2 2004 DRZ250s, both higher than I'd like but . . .

Can anyone give me a clue about how worthwhile it is to try to lower this bike?

There is no longer a DRZ250 in our future. We found a Super Sherpa with 315 miles on the clock. Also, no need to lower or dual sport it. Story and pics are at ADVRider . Larry