Sign in to follow this  

Is it Faulty ACCT or worn out Cam Chains

I am wondering how many miles are on the bikes that have had the auto cam chains tensioner fail, and if it was indeed the tensioner that failed. I spoke to a mechanic that said he had never seen one fail before, and that if you are running crappy oil or not cleaning your air filter enough that your cam chain will wear out first and foremost, which will take out the tensioner when it explodes. The bikes produce a tonne of heat and need QUALITY OIL.These guys hop up alot of their bikes and race a lot, so i trust what he is saying. I spoke to a guy that is parting out his bike on e-bay right now and he said he could hear the chain slapping for a period of time before it exploded. Wondering if this is the case with others that have cratered their motors. Any tensioning device will only work to a certain extent; a predetermined amount of throw (not that they couldn't fail). When your chain wears out and starts killing sprockets you don't just keep trying to tighten it more, you replace it, don't you??? My bike has the same chain slapping issue right now so i have parked it until my new cam chain arrives(@12,300KM). I will checkout the tensioner as well and post the results later.

Chrispy :applause:

At least of couple of blown engines are due to valves breaking. The cct problem is not just a drz problem, in fact the early mcct were from the sport bike community.

How does crappy oil or dirty air filter damage the cam chain? There are a lot of other parts that will go before the chain.

I have a 01 model DRZ S.

I took out the auto cam chain tensioner after hearing they were unreliable.

I purchased the stock, automatic tensioner for a 2003 model and there is a world of difference in the design - but thats about all.

The 01 unit and the 03 unit have almost identical amounts of spring force.

The 01 unit has a design that can fail much easier than the 03 unit.

Suzuki has a history of making sub-par tensioners all the way back to the 1980's.

I had the chain noise when my bike was new. It did not change after 16,000 miles of riding. I changed to the 03 model tensioner and still have some noticable chain noise. My 03 tensioner has at least 4 more clicks on it before it gets to the last adjustment point.

I believe some of the noise relates to the 4-valve head (a lot of parts up there) and to the bottom-half of the cam chain guide in the motor. There are two metal channels that keep the chain around the bottom cam chain gear and they are so close that it must be making some noise.

Either way, if the cam chain tension is ok and you have a 2003 tensioner (or later) you are probably fine.

I have a 01 model DRZ S.

I took out the auto cam chain tensioner after hearing they were unreliable.

I purchased the stock, automatic tensioner for a 2003 model and there is a world of difference in the design - but thats about all.

I think it would have been safer to replace the ACCT with a manual unit. When I replaced my 2003 ACCT, I noticed the cam chain was being held very tight. I also read someone here call the ACCT the auto cam chain stretcher. I'm just curious but how much did they charge you for a 2003 ACCT?

I'm just curious but how much did they charge you for a 2003 ACCT?

Way too much, I'm sure. :applause:

I myself think with the camchain so tight with the ACCT it prematuraly wears out camchains that would have lasted for many thousands, upon thousands of more miles. If you look at the old simple time chain adjuster on an TT-500 or XT-500 you'd see what I mean. I'd adjust a cam chain after riding the hell out of one of those bikes maybe once a year. They work a lot like the MCCT that is in use on the Suzuki and would seldom need adjustments. I was a gar more healthier guy back when I rode those machines and they seldom seen anything but WO. They still used one cam chain on an XT that had a 650 kit put in it. That's why it needed a different chain. Lot taller cylinder. pdawg :applause::eek: