Sign in to follow this  

High speed/low speed

Need some Help. I have an 05" Husky TE450. The rear suspension has to two compression damper adjustments, low and high speed. What is the function of each? I am getting different reports as to the function of each. I was told that low speed was for the large, bottom out type bumps/jumps and the high speed was for the chop. Is this right? :applause:

Mahalo

Tiger

my understanding is that high speed is for square edge bumps etc which make the shock compress quick and the low speed is for the rest of it but im no expert

In suspension terminology, high speed and lower speed damping is referring to the velocity the unit moves (shock shaft velocity). Look at the profile of the obsticale and think of it as a calculation. Result = Run / Rise

A small "Square Edge" bump may be 6" long (run) and 12" high (rise), this would result in the following: -> 6/12 = .5

A large tabletop may have a face of 12' long (run) and 6' high (rise), this would result in the following: -> 144/72 = 2

The "Result" is a function of time, never the less, the smaller the "Result" (time) the higher the shaft speed.

The high speed adjuster will affect square edge bumps along with rear ride height when accelerating out of turns. You can use it to help keep the bike down in a turn while accelerating or to reduce acceleration headshake. The high speed adjuster takes very little adjustment to make a big difference.