Sign in to follow this  

shoes for running

What are you using for running shoes?

I've had to stop running now because I dont have proper running shoes and there starting to realy hurt my back and feet. I get 3 inch long blisters along the sides of my feet if I use them. I saw a nice pair at a shoe store when I got some new non-running shoes. i cant remember what they were but they had small shocks on the back and looked very comfortable. I'll try to find them, I think they were nike but I'm not sure.

I use Asics running shoes, and they are very comfortable. One thing that might help with the blisters is the type of socks you wear. If you get some that are made for running, they slide in the shoe instead of against your foot, which causes blisters.

I think the Nike Shox are more for looks than actual performance. My wife ran in some for a few months and had some foot problems, I don't think they support your heal very well. They also wore out pretty quickly.

Brooks Beast is all I used in years. They are designed for guys over 175lbs.

Barney

Brooks makes good running shoes. :applause:

Nike is a joke. I have worn most of their better models out in just a few weeks. :eek:

hey

Asics is the the shoe that i wear when running. I am part of my high schools Cross country team and i wore them all seaon every day on trail and pavement both. they were very durable and my feet never had any problems. I will most likely buy another pair for this years running season.

If you are running to stay in shape, I would consider a good cross training shoe. Something that adds good support and shock absobtion. My opinion is the lightweight running shoes might be good for races but dont offer alot of support.

I wonder what Pro runners where when they are training??

I use New Balance and like them alot.

I'll second that. Used to use Nike but they'd all give me blisters on the bottom of my foot. Got New Balance and haven't had a blister since. Course I walk but I'd imagine it would be worse running.

However the friend of mine that recommended them, she DOES run several miles a day and those are the shoes she wears.

I wear the Nike Shox TL. I love them.

go to an actual running shoe shop. if you can't find one pick up a copy of "Runners World" magazine, there should be a list of good shops there and you can read about all the good shoes available right now. You wouldn't buy a motorcycle at walmart because most likely no one there knows anything about motorcycles right... its the same at the big sporting good chain stores, most of those kids hucking shoes haven't a clue about all the details that make certain shoes work for certain people. I know, i used to sell shoes at one, and the info the store gave me barely scratched the surface of what i really needed to know to give someone a shoe that really worked for them on the road or trail.

for road running i've worn nikes with the most comfort but they blew out really fast. I bought a pair of the nike shoxs and ran once in them, never again. the couple pair of Asics i've bought I really liked, but i have a hard time finding a set that agrees with me.

for trail running i've had really good luck with adidas. I'll probably end up with a pair

of adidas for street and treadmill running as well.

I've just finished my sixth week on a tread mill, 30 minutes a day making over 2.5 miles. Yesterday was the first I've missed. I know its not the same as real running but at least I'm doing it. I've been using $20 shoes frim K-Mart. What am I missing?

If you're really serious about running, go to a quality running shoe store. Often they will use a treadmill and slow motion camera to watch your running style and the angles of your legs and ankles. From there, they will find you a shoe that will make sure your ankles are straight with your legs, which will prevent injuries and soreness. I have a pair of adidas that have more support on the inside of my foot than the outside, which keeps my ankles from folding in when I step down-- it made all the difference from the $30 "running shoes" I had before... a lot less soreness after I get done.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I really don't have soreness, at least not in my joints, a little in my muscles. I read above about guys getting blisters with the running shoes. I can't see paying a hundred bones and getting blisters.

My preference is New Balance, and I think the key word is "preference". I've tried other brands and New Balance tend to fit my feet the best and are most comfortable for me. My current pair of NB are about 9 months old and are ready to be replaced (3-6 miles a day, 4x week). You just need to try on as many shoes as possible and see whats most comfortable and fits best.

If you're really serious about running, go to a quality running shoe store.

I'd definitely agree with this. A good quality store won't sell cheap shoes and will make sure you get the right shoe for the right reason. Each type of shoe has a different purpose- a running shoe must have give along it's length (toe to heel) but support on it's sides. A court shoe is harder and therefore has little toe to heel give, etc...etc... etc... Do you pronate, supinate, whatever (although this kinda controversial anyway).

A fun trick is to take your shoe and try to "wring" it out sideways, if it caves in then it's pretty much a useless shoe (or a good one that's had the crud beaten outta it and is time to go) or if it won't twist at all it's like having a brick on your foot. Does it have a nice smooth give from the toe to heel or does it just bend over at the toe? This is what you can expect the shoe to also do, to some degree, once it's on your foot. Not good.

Watch out for the "fake" air cells in lots of shoes (yup- even darn Nike).

Often, you get what you pay for. If you're a lucky person and have pretty supple muscles, no strength imbalances and run nice and soft and smooth, you can get away with alot more than others.

I wear Saucony but that's because they work for me. Each brand has a line of different shoes, although some seem to specialize in some areas.

Lastly, once you find the pair you love, and know this from wearing them awhile, buy another pair quick- before they change the model for marketing purposes.

Oh, and just because my present Saucony shoes are to my liking this year doesn't mean that they'll always be the best for me. Don't get entirely stuck on a brand to the point you don't look at other brands as models constantly change- for the better AND for the worst.

Asics and Sacouny have worked well for me.

Good socks are critical.