Sign in to follow this  

Shimed the valves to the loose end of the spec.

My valves were on the tight end of the spec so I shimmed them to the loose end. I started her up and the head was ticking fairly loud now. Shut it down and sat on my ass watching TV the rest of the day.

Today I opened the head back to inspect things, didn't know what I was really looking. Had no idea what could be making the sound. I had shimmed my brothers DRZ 2 weeks ago and it ran great, not as much clicking as I was hearing with mine now.

Everything looked great inside. 15 pins from sprocket to sprocket. MCCT was tight on the chain, etc. etc.

Buttoned it back up and started it again. Ticking was pronounced so I adjusted the MCCT per Burned's meathod. Ticking is definitely coming from the cams.

Well, I assume the loose tappet gap is causing the noise and it will fade with time as the valves tighten up again.

I MIGHT have swapped the tappets right to left on the intake side. I don't think so but it's a possibility.

Should I run it as it or is there something not right?

what are the measurements?

Originally:

Intake:

280 for .152mm gap

280 for .102mm gap

Exhaust:

315 for .229mm

315 for .203mm

Now:

I installed 275 on the intakes

I installed 310 on the exhausts

Measurements are now .203mm intake 1

.178mm intake 2

..279 exhaust 1

..229 exhaust 2

All numbers are approximate

is it alot louder?it really shouldnt have changed.

i personally would put the 280 and the 315 back in on both of the looser valves.

cool, since when burned become jetting expert??

he should be know as all arounder expert, or motorcycle expert or maybe DRZ guru??

:applause:

Is that your mug there eddie?????

And as burned said, go back to the original on the two loose ones. I used to try to shoot for the middle on both before I installed the hot cams. Now it is the middle for the intake but the tighter end for the exhaust.

cool, since when burned become jetting expert??

he should be know as all arounder expert, or motorcycle expert or maybe DRZ guru??

🙂

So is that why we get the pic???

I still vote for the title of "Sage of the Frontrange" :applause::eek:

Way cool for ya' burned :applause:

Did they at least double your salary from what you guys get as moderators??? :eek:

is it alot louder?it really shouldnt have changed.

i personally would put the 280 and the 315 back in on both of the looser valves.

Yes, it is a LOT louder. I'm starting to get irritated w/ taking the thing apart. I guess one or two times more won't kill me. It will be close, but I might survive. Might.