Sign in to follow this  

UFO lighting kit (universal)

Got this set of UFO universal lights off of Ebay. I had priced them out at $165 as the cheapest way before this auction.

Anyone have either one of these on a DRZ? Anything I should know that isn't already part of drz.info? I'm assuming my wires get cut and reterminated into connectors on these units. I'll probably have to remove the original headlight mounting bracket....

I hope this cleans up the bike a bit!

I have the tailight assembly on my drz400s...its a little scary cutting those wires if its a new machine...just attach connecters to them after cutting...u'll find that the bulbs that come with it make your flashers flash too fast..I replaced them with GE921 bulbs , then they flash normal...the GE921 bulbs are too big to fit thru the bulb housing...I took a drill and reamed out the housing so the bulb would fit thru...then I drilled a small hole thru the side of the housing and put in a small screw to keep the bulb from moving around...its an easy job..only takes a few minutes...when u take off the stock tailight assembly there are a couple of plastic tabs on the bottom of the fender that some people cut off..I didn.t , just in case I wanted to put back on the stock fender...I cut a couple of holes into the black plastic on the UFO tail assembly so the tabs would fit in flush...I used a soldering gun to make the holes..worked good..u could also drill them in...hope this helps u...

I have both on my E.

Yes you will have to convert connectors either on the bike or on the headlight.

Probably easier on the bike, if I remember correctly the wires on the signals in the headlight were really short.

The other thing is the UFO headlight will probably not be nearly as bright for night riding as the stock headlight.

Wiring used in back part of headligh shell.

headlightshell.jpg

Headlight front view.

Front_View.jpg

Al E

Are the front turn signals in that fairing/plate assembly available separately? It looks like they may be able to be integrated into the stock headlamp fairing/plate deal. That's a clean look for sure. I'd like to clean up the looks of my bike in a similar fashion, but I wouldn't want a headlamp that wasn't as bright as the stock one. Will a dual filament bulb with the same wattage as the stock headlamp maybe fit in the UFO headlamp bezel, or is it a sealed beam unit? Just weighing my options on how to do something along these lines.

Thanks.

i have em both on my bike and i really like the way they look,the head light was not bright enough so i cut the stock head light socket of the old head light and used j/b weld to weld to the new headlight socket and it is so much better.i couldnt find a bulb that would fit the new headlight assy so thats why i did it that way

I have the UFO rear unit. I cut the fender tabs off, mounted it between the fender and subframe and used the Radio Shack bulbs to slow the blink rate. Works great and looks alot better. I was concerned at first that I might have mounted it too far forward and would rip it off if I bottomed out but that hasn't been a problem.

JW-I got rid of my OEM front turn signals and installed some flush mount Lockehart Phillips onto the fairing a few months ago. They are tear drop shaped and mounted really low on the shroud and look nice and clean like the UFO front unit, but only cost $20. Pix in my garage.

I have the tailight assembly on my drz400s...its a little scary cutting those wires if its a new machine...just attach connecters to them after cutting...u'll find that the bulbs that come with it make your flashers flash too fast..I replaced them with GE921 bulbs , then they flash normal...the GE921 bulbs are too big to fit thru the bulb housing...I took a drill and reamed out the housing so the bulb would fit thru...then I drilled a small hole thru the side of the housing and put in a small screw to keep the bulb from moving around...its an easy job..only takes a few minutes...when u take off the stock tailight assembly there are a couple of plastic tabs on the bottom of the fender that some people cut off..I didn.t , just in case I wanted to put back on the stock fender...I cut a couple of holes into the black plastic on the UFO tail assembly so the tabs would fit in flush...I used a soldering gun to make the holes..worked good..u could also drill them in...hope this helps u...

I left the plastic tabs on the stock fender also, and used a dremel tool to cut a couple of holes in the UFO taillight assembly, in case I ever wanted to put the stock taillight assembly back on.

Al E

I also cut the fender tabs off but I used those mounting points on the frame to attach a small arc of aluminum strip that supports the front of the UFO tail light. This bolts to the light under the fender. In the rear, I used countersunk screws all the way through the fender and UFO light to the frame mount tabs. These screws in the rear provide a solid mounting for the rear fender to replace the tabs that were removed. The UFO light is rock solid and the look/weight are better than the factory original.

I do not worry about blink rate. It is faster than stock, but I ride a dirt bike that I can take on the street. If/when the bulbs burn out and I get a "fix it" ticket, I will look at the bulb alternatives.