Sign in to follow this  

Wr450 Ride

My buddy bought a 04 wr 450. I got to ride it at lenght last sunday. I really liked it. I dont really know what they weigh, but it felt about 15 lbs lighter. I just got on it and rode, the front end really sticks, and you can lift the front wheel very easy. It vibrated more than my drz but I kind of got used to that. The seat was to thin and hard for this OLD FAT GUY. It also rides hot, the tank is small 2.0 gallon and does not go down by the engine very far at the bottom. The result is, a lot of engine heat comes up around the tank to your legs. That proved a little uncomfortable on a 90+ day. Wit all that said, I was making better times on it than I was on my drz, it is uncorked but has no modifications. Just thought someone may be interested.

I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Simple roll of the throttle made lenghty wheelies easy in gears 1-3. The bike's lighter feel also made it easier to launch. The suspension was not as plush as the DRZ but it was surprisingly comfortable. It seemed to require more clutch control than the DRZ on rocky hill climbs though. I would consider owning the wr450.

The vibration and throttle response are both probably due to the less crank weight of the WR... get the DRZ crank shaved a bit extra while its getting fitted with the 475 offset crankpin... and you'll have the response and vibration of the WR, with the added torque to smoke the WR in the process! :eek: Andrew

PS... the bike will weigh less also! :applause:

Buddy of mine has a '05 WR and it does feel very lite compared to the z. He also has a '02 WR 426 with a broken shift fork. The 450 weighs less than the 426 and it has electric start.(???) I'll take the reliabilty over the weight diff.