Sign in to follow this  

The Best Off Road Tires?

I just read about the guy wiping out on the road in the rain. I still have my d wings, but I primarily ride on the road to get to the trails. I was thinking of getting some knobbies. But, now I realize that might not be such a good idea.

Any suggestions on which tire might be the best compromise, with trail riding in mind?

I bought the Dunlop 606's and I've really liked them. I've got probably 1,000 miles of hard dirt riding and they're still in pretty good shape although I'll probably be replacing the rear here soon. The best price I've found is through Rocky Mountain ATV MC.

Scott S

Boise, Id

I liked the Pirelli MT 21 on the rear of my bike. I do a 30 mile commute to work and didn't have any problems with it. I don't ride too aggressive on the street so I don't know if they would be good for "street racing",but they work good offroad and I got about 3500 miles on it before it wouldn't grip the dirt any more. I think I will try a Terra-flex next. That looks like a tire with attitude!

Get some knobbies and ride carefully on the street. I use Dunlop 606s, but there are other good ones. The stock Suzuki "deathwings" are not good offroad tires. The compromise for a dirt bike is to get a good off road tire and baby it on the street. I have even been intrigued by some of the posts about Michelin trials tires, but I ride on desert terrain and "I think" I need a more agressive tire than a trials tire.

Knobbies don't have good traction on pavement, so no SM tricks :applause: but they do slide out predictably and work fine. Knobbies with DOT rating such as the 606 are only rated by DOT for street use. Otherwise you don't need DOT rating at all. That doesn't mean that DOT rated knobbies are better than non-rated knobbies on the street, they just won't get you a ticket.

In races like Baja 500/1000 and Paris Dakar, there are many road sections. The bikes all use aggressive knobbies for those sections. Just ride carefully.