Sign in to follow this  

Valves in Spec!

Just thought I would try and make some people feel better about their bikes.

I just checked my valves for the first time on my 05 250f and they were all close to the tight side, but all within spec. I bought the bike brand new and have more than 40 hours on it. I change to oil every 3 rides and clean the air filter about the same. I ride twice a week at the track. I'm a decent rider but routinely get passed. I dont run the bike to the rev limiter either.

congrats on having the valves all in spec. With them on the tight side you might want to check them a bit sooner then 40 more hours.

Yeah, I should have checked them sooner. I will now check them after 20 hours or so from now on. I just think people are making a bigger deal about the valves than they have to. It doesnt matter what bike you have, they will all break down if you dont practice preventative maintenance. Although my buddies ride Yamahas and they dont maintain them at all. Those bikes just keep running!

Trust me, those buddies of yours will pay for it in the long run. 40 hours is asking for disaster, 20 is still to much. Check it every 10 and you should be fine.