Sign in to follow this  

Is this normal?

Im new to liqiud cooled bikes so be easy on me. Im using 50/50 antifreeze and water, and if I fill my radiator up to the top then go riding for about an hour when I get back it will be half empty. This seems strange to me,Im wondering if maybe there is a leak in the radiator hoses or something? :applause: Is there something wrong or are liquid cooled bikes supposed to be like this?

Half empty as in...You can't see any fluid? Thats not normal.

Yeah I have to tip the bike over to see it. My bike runs really cool and never overheats or anything.

is the bike used? if so the radiator cap spring could be worn so bad that the radiator pressure could be so low that the fluid is boiling over and out through the tube. I have a 2000 rm250 and i think that is happening to me. Everytime i check the radiator it is slightly low. If you can tilt your bike to see the coolant than it's not too terribly low and shouldn't be hurting anything(unless the handlebars are on the ground!) If the bike is brand new than it just may be normal. but i would replace the radiator cap regardless and see if that changes anything.

it doesn't mean your bike is overheating, just the coolant is boiling over because there is no pressure. that is why it is under pressure in the first place.

Yeah I have to tip the bike over to see it. My bike runs really cool and never overheats or anything.

Not Good!!!!

Is Your Engine Oil Milky.???????????????

Not Good!!!!

Is Your Engine Oil Milky.???????????????

Buddy his bike is a two-stroke = no engine oil. And there's no way the tranny oil could be affected by this.

You should fill up your radiator, and then let your bike run at idle for about ten minutes out in your yard. While it's running, look for spots where the fluid is or may be leaking.

Yep check for external leaks first then if nothing is found consider one inside as such things like water pump shaft seals (milky tranny oil) , head gasket, base gasket etc....etc...a pressure tester is always nice also.

Buddy his bike is a two-stroke = no engine oil. And there's no way the tranny oil could be affected by this.

You should fill up your radiator, and then let your bike run at idle for about ten minutes out in your yard. While it's running, look for spots where the fluid is or may be leaking.

You Mean On A Two Stroke There’s NO OIL To The Crank, Water Pump Gears , Starter Gears. And A Lot More Than Just The Trans. That’s A New One Me. :applause::eek:🙂

Is That Part Of The Engine???? Well Let Me Rephrase That Motor.

And There Is NO WAY The Water Pump Seal Can Be Leaking Into The Trans / Motor. Oil.?? 😛😛😛

That May Cause The Oil To Be Milky.And Just May Be The Reason For The Coolant Lose.

😛😛

I Give Up. 😛:mad:

Just One Mans Opinion. :snore::snore:

If your gearbox oil is milky colored, as has been said here already - you have a leak into your engine.

A Gasket, most likely.

You could be losing out the cap, as was also said.

You could be burning it, gasket leak again (Check your plug)

You could also have a hose leak, yes.

At least you were smart enough to figure out something was wrong, rather than run it till it blew up

Ha!

WHen I got my 450SX, whenever I would go over a large jump, my left hand and my left leg would become wet and burning hot! My coolant was always low, so I always filled her up.

Finally, I swapped caps with my 520, to see if that helped. Nope.

Found the top radiator hose on the left radiator, the clamp was not on properly and it was blowing the hose partly off on hard landings and spewing coolant. I really worried about it when I got DOUSED in coolant one time - I knew it wasn't just a leaky cap!

thats funny, nobody thought of the simple things like a missing hose clamp, everybody got all technical. but hey, they know a lot more than me about radiators.

thats funny, nobody thought of the simple things like a missing hose clamp, everybody got all technical. but hey, they know a lot more than me about radiators.

haha no kidding...i guess sometimes the most obvious is the least obvious...

By the way, if your using 50/50 you dont have to mix it with water, thats why its 50/50.