Sign in to follow this  

Dented header - does it matter?

Hello, all. I dented my header on my XR400 in a race last Sat (got 33rd out of 85 in the overall 'C' division). Will this have much of an impact on my engine? I've not ridden it since then, so no doubt I'll see for myself when I ride next. But, I thought I'd ask the group here and get opinions.

That being said, if I go aftermarket, I wonder what I might do? All I need is the header, not the can. Comments?

Patrick

I don't have a dig. camera, sadly. Maybe I can get a pic taken this weekend sometime. The dent start around the 'bend' and goes for a few inches down the header. I'll check it out more closely tonight and give an accurate description.

Patrick

if it seems to be smashed in more then half way then you will want to replace it or pull it out with a stud welder. dont want to put to much back pressure on that valve(s). as far as aftermarket exhaust dont get. my firend got a full exhaust and the can got knocked off form the tire hitting it. and they just dont really do anything performance wise on the 400's.

I watched a guy at the enduro races put plugs in the ends of the pipe (one had a shrader valve in it) and apply air pressure to the inside of the pipe,heat up the dent with a welding torch and took the dent out of the pipe quite nicely. He only charges 35 bucks and I thought that was a bargain compared to a new pipe.You might be able to find someone in your area to do that for you. :applause:

I looked at it carefully last night. The dent goes in about 1/4 inch, and is about 3 inches long. It is on the 'outer' pipe, right after the 90 degree curve as it heads to the rear.

I like the suggestions on pulling it back out. Don't know what a 'stud welder' is, but I can google it.

It's probably okay, but I think I'll try to 'undent' it anyway. Again, thanks for the tips!

Patrick

A stud welder is what you pull dents out of auto bodies with. Neat, but not what you would want to buy to remove 1 dent (or even several). It's more of a "Know a guy that has one" deal. You might try a body shop though and get them to pull it out with a stud welder, shouldn't charge much (it's not like they have to paint it afterall).The air pressure and the torch is one of the most ingeiuus sounding ideas I've heard in a while, KEWL.

If you put a blow torch in my hands, that would result in ... well, an explosion.

:applause:

Patrick

I don't know if it would work with a header, but you could try the ice trick. Basically you put water in the pipe and then freeze it, but you have to be careful not to put too much water. I forgot exactly how much you fill it up, but I'm sure you can find more info on it if you look.

Joel