Sign in to follow this  

Should I replace the Headlight with a regular numberplate?

During my first harescramble I lost the white numberplate on my headlight. Now while I plan to replace it either way, I'm wondering if I should replace it with a regular number plate. I never take advantage of having a headlight in any of my riding. I've heard of some guys making brackets and whatnot to make some numberplates fit. Is there an easy solution to get a good looking number plate on there? So should I just replace my numberplate and keep the lights, or get a regular numberplate and a mx rear fender. Thanks.

For races I would go with just a flat numberplate. A universal one should be pretty easy to mount up.

I used to have a '98 XR400, and I substituted the front headlight/numberplate with a CR250 motocross numberplate, with a minimal amount of modification.

just keep the light incase you ever need and wire up a switch so you can shut it off.but then again it doesnt take logn to switch out a light with a number plate.

If you use a flat number plate might I suggest you cut a hole for ventilation to the oil cooler? I used to use the Cycra half vented number plate during cross country racing, but if you block the flow of air to the oil cooler I think you are asking for problems.The stock set-up has an opening for air to cool the oil cooler. Just a thought for ya if it is a 400. :applause:

Cycra makes a vented number plate for the CRF. you can get a full vented or a half vented. If I were to switch mine out it would be with one of these. Even though your bike doesn have an oil cooler, any air movement through this air has got to help in some way.

But do you guys think it is necessary? I have no problem with the current setup and like having the lights on there. But if they are going to get trashed I'd rather spend the money on a numberplate and mx rear fender than just replacing parts.

Maybe when you are racing remove the headlight because it is heavy and bulky, also the Honda OEM headlights cost a fortune if you get roosted by a big rock.

If you like your current set-up leave it,it really depends on your riding ability whether it will get trashed or not. I have not torn up a set yet(5yrs.) But I do not run the tail light.

But do you guys think it is necessary? I have no problem with the current setup and like having the lights on there. But if they are going to get trashed I'd rather spend the money on a numberplate and mx rear fender than just replacing parts.

Personally..if they are not needed for your riding then you might as well drop the weight and get something that is more durable (less things to break, ie headlight). While it is probably 2-3 lbs it is on the outside edges and high on the bike. When something needs to be replaced, I generally try to find a lighter and upraded part to replace it.

Dirtsquirt, if you plan to continue running Harescrambles then I would loose the light. I finally replaced mine after dumping the bike in rocky sections and having to buy new lights. An 03 CRF450 number plate fits pretty good for a replacement. I still have my light and can have it ready to go in a minute if I need the light.

I also did the Polisport MX style rear fender. Never mind the little bit of weight you save in the fender, the big deal is you won't pack as much mud weight in the MX fender over the course of a race. It stays cleared out a lot better!

I'm just going to keep the lights. I'm just a casual racer. Thanks for all of your help. If you could still post a picture of your numberplate I would appreciate it. I would like some attack graphics pre printed number plate backgrounds but I don't know if they offer them in my bike. I need 2747, if I can't find pre printed ones will 4 digits of 4" numbers fit on all of the number plates? Thanks.

I'm just a casual racer.

No problem, but keep this in mind. The casual racer can dump it in the rocks just like he occaisionally gets stuck in mud bogs. :applause:

I'm a casual racer too,(Senior C class) and I changed mine out. The $17.50 for a number plate will pay for itself in bulb and lense costs in the long run. I wish I would have changed mine out sooner :eek: . I could have saved myself some money.

I don't have a current picture with the number plate, but I'm sure some do and would be happy to post them for you to check out.

The problem is I already have to replace the numberplate on the headlight ($30), Buy a 450 numberplate ($17), buy a polisport rear fender I'm guessing ($40), either pre printed backgrounds or 4 sets of numbers ($30). So it turns out to be kind of pricey. But it's my birthday in 2 days so if I get money I will consider it.

I zip-tied the two pieces of the stock headlight shell / number plate together (where the two pieces snap together) as soon as I got the bike, 'cause I'd heard of them coming apart. Haven't lost it yet despite lots of "off trail detours" in the tight Pa woods.

I zip-tied the two pieces of the stock headlight shell / number plate together (where the two pieces snap together) as soon as I got the bike, 'cause I'd heard of them coming apart. Haven't lost it yet despite lots of "off trail detours" in the tight Pa woods.

This was my plan after losing it sunday. How about the scott summers look, zipty the numberplate to secure that, and pull the lens and bulb? I see the polisport rear fender listed in the TT store. It is listed at 22 dollars. Is this the mx type fender. Is this a good one?