Sign in to follow this  

Piston slap? DRZ400s

I have a 2002 DRZ 400s with 500 miles on it that has a sound much like piston slap. If so what can I do about it? What about the 440 big bore kit if I have to go inside. Any ideas? :applause:

BA

Are you sure its not your valve train? They are on the noisy side on these bikes.

Try to locate where the noise is coming from. Hold a screwdriver against the cylinder and put your ear on the handle end.Move it around till you get an idea where it is originating. I know your bike has low miles, but you are supposed to check your valve clearance after initial break-in.

the piston is only 1.5 inches tall, that's why you're getting piston slap....don't lag the engine....rev it :applause:

I asked this same question a few months ago :eek:

The pistons have very short skirts and they are not noise free, what you describe is normal

Interesting...I don't have a service manual for the bike but checking the valve clearance is a good start. The bike had this noise when I bought it. I will try the "screw driver" technique as well.

Thanks!

M

Don't worry bout the revs , ride it how ever.

The stock piston is a very Solid piston, also Forged and probably aids in a little more noise than cast piston.

But the cyclic noises with slight load are normal, My piston has close to 33,000 miles on it.

I've been following DRZ forums for about 3 years, this topic comes up pretty often.

it sounds like the normal noise that everyone worries about. don't worry about it, it is fine!