Sign in to follow this  

Hit the pond!!

When I was racin last weekend there was a pond in the middle of the mx track. I was givin one of my buddies a bad time that he was goin to hit it. Well he didnt hit it. I was goin around the sweeping corner and it was a little bumpy had the bike in 4th gear. The bike got a little out of control from me and I headed right for the pond. I went head first in to it, my bike as totally submerged all that was showing was the tip on one end of my bars. The bad thing was that I was in first place. My question is what to do so I don't have any problems down the road. I changed the oil right away (water got in the oil), and changed it again, changed gas, cleaned air filter, took plug out and kicked it. It runs fine but iam goin to change the oil one more time. any suggestions? :applause:

I don't have any suggestions, but what track was this at. I was at brookston on sunday.

one of my buddies totally submerges his last bike in water, he just let it sit for the rest of the day, the next day it started and he had no troubles with it. about 1 year later he sold it.

Hmm, tough luck on the pond trip. You got what you deserved though for giving your friend a hard time. He will probably bring that up for years. Anyway about the bike, I would say you should probably repack the silencer. That's all I've got.

Do a search using the word "submerged" and you will find a few posts from people talking about water logged bikes.

I submerged my 04 yz 125 last year. As soon as I got it out we took out the plug and turned the bike upside down. Plug was covered with muddy water, pulled the kickstarter a few times but it was all sludge coming out of it. When I went into the water I was wide open which completely sucked water through the reed cage and down into the motor. It wouldn't start and I am glad it didn't at that time. I had to split the cases, must have been a half gallon of water and mud in the motor. I changed the main bearings and seals and all the gaskets along with the piston, rings, and other top end parts. The water and mud didn't take long to junk the bearings. Since yours is running now and all seems well I would at least take a look at the spark plug and see if any water came up through the cylinder.