Sign in to follow this  

z50r leaky carb

hey

ive got a 1980 z50r with the original carb on it and i was riding it around when i got home the float bowl was leaking onto the cylinder and boiling off the drain pipe had fallen off and so had the little nipple that it connected to i didnt think it was a problem until i thought about it and i noticed that it leaked even when the screw was tightened. what should i do?? i dont want to buy new carb but i will if it nessaserry. . .

Just pick up a new XR50 carb. I have 2 in my garage. I'd be happy to send you one if you're willing to pay the shipping. PM me and I'll hook you up. :applause: It is 25yrs old, its just seen better days.

ill think about it

is it complete like with screws, springs, float, and gaskets?

what about price. . .

I have an xr50 carb on my 1987 Z50R, so it will work they are basically identical. But to fix the old one it sounds like the shut off for the fuel flow is sticking which could be either the piece that plugs the hole the fuel comes down or most likely it's just the floats are stuck. You can tap on the float bowl with a screw driver handle and that usually unsticks them.

Let us know what happens..

Scott

actually i fixed the problem of the leaky carb by cleaning the seat not the 1 u sit on but the one that plugs off the fuel flow 2 the carb so thanx 4 your help and i wont be needing a new carb birddogg

hey bird dog..... do you by any chance still have a stock airfilter laying around your not using? I need one for my 92 Z50.The bolt hole at the top & the air inlet (rear) needs to be at the bottom. Let me know thanks

Dug thru the garage tonight and found one. You want a stock airbox for an XR50 right? The bolt hole is on the left side bottom. I will check with some of my friends tomorrow. They got lotsa Z parts. Honestly, if I were you I'd just get a pod filter. Prolly cheaper and will flow better than stock.

ok ill mabe check out a pod filter. I was kinda wanting this bike im selling to be pretty much stock but i dont wanna waste alot of time & money trying to get it there. Let me know if ya find a Z50 stock filter.Thanks for the help.