Sign in to follow this  

XR200- I know nothing

I'm looking at an '83 XR200 for my dad to start with on tight single-track. Is this a good bike for it? It's a clean bike. Guy wants $800, I want to go lower. Any issues or things to look for? I'm a KLR/CR500 rider, so I'm out of my league on this. Are the drum brakes a lot worse? Thanks for any help. :applause:

I think that if you are willing to spend the extra money, you should look into a CRF 230 for him. A bit more power, more common size back wheel, electric start, and a front disc brake all make it a better bike than a XR 200.

That's a great reliable bike if you ask me. $800 is a pretty good deal too as long as it's in good shape. I would actually trade my 2001 XR200 for an 80s model except for the principal of the whole thing. It's pretty much the same great bike then and now except for the downgrade of suspension in '91. 🙂

I would say go for it! :eek: My opinion of the new CRFs is that they are a heck of a lot more money for not a lot more improvements. The other thing is that from what it seemed like to me when I rode one, the CRFs have more hp but no where near the torque of the XR200. :applause: Anyway, it sounds like a great buy.

Yes, Buy it for Dad! if it's clean you can't go wrong. You will always be able to get your $$$ back if he decides to step up!...Karl

HAHAHAHAA, the price quote for an 83 xr200 on nada.com is $165, god I wish.....

I would say it's worth more than that. Sentimentally anyway.

Good rule of thumb; any bike in good running order despite year is worth $1000 ... I'd say buy it, as mentioned you can always get your money back.. I'm really enjoying my XR200, and I ride a CR250 as well..

What a night! After poring over pics of the original XR200 I was looking at, I realized that it was a twin-shock model. 🙂 So I started looking at want-ads and found another '83 XR200, this one an R model. The guy wanted $900. I emailed him and asked if it was still for sale. This was about 10. At 2, just as was getting off work, he emailed back and said yes. I responded asking for a phone number and he got back to me. I then said that I could call him right then if he wanted. He said fine. So I talked to him about the bike as I drove home and then said I would think about it. He called me back five minutes after I hung up and said that he knew everyone would try to knock $100 off the price, so if I came right then and picked up the bike he would knock $200 off of it. A $900 bike just went to $700. I went home, got the cash, and drove the 60 miles to get it at 3:30 in the morning. All-time tweeker deal. :eek: It's all there. It runs, has a new clutch, and the plastics are great. Needs fork seals and a silencer. For $700 I can't go too far wrong. :applause:

Pro M,

Sounds like ya done good.

Hope your dad enjoys riding it.

Good choice passing on the twin shocker.

I would never pay over 500 bucks for any 80's model bike...

He said he wanted this for the track, this IS NOT a track bike... I would have shopped around more.

A dirtbike does not really hold sentimental value with most people.

He said he wanted this for the track, this IS NOT a track bike
I think he said SINGLE TRACK, not RACE TRACK!

Single track is where the animals in the forest walk the same path searching for water or food and then hikers see the beaten path and follow it. Then mountain bike riders notice it and start riding it. Pretty soon motorcyclist out playing in the forest start using it while trying to figure out how to make it a loop back to camp. Once that happens the enviromental wackos move in and lobby congress to kick out the mountain bikers, motorcyclist and.......and well, never mind you get the idea!

Oh yea, a Race Track has a start/finish line with flags and usually involves paying a huge sum of money to a promoter to cover insurance cost and if you are faster then everyone else that day, you get to go home with a cheesy plastic trophy.

Hope this helps clear thing up :applause:

I think he said SINGLE TRACK, not RACE TRACK!

Single track is where the animals in the forest walk the same path searching for water or food and then hikers see the beaten path and follow it. Then mountain bike riders notice it and start riding it. Pretty soon motorcyclist out playing in the forest start using it while trying to figure out how to make it a loop back to camp. Once that happens the enviromental wackos move in and lobby congress to kick out the mountain bikers, motorcyclist and.......and well, never mind you get the idea!

Oh yea, a Race Track has a start/finish line with flags and usually involves paying a huge sum of money to a promoter to cover insurance cost and if you are faster then everyone else that day, you get to go home with a cheesy plastic trophy.

Hope this helps clear thing up :applause:

Haha, good explanation :eek:

Do it. If he doesn't have much experience with dirt bikes, he'll be able to crash it and the bike will still probobly be fine. I have an 83' XL200R that I'm going to show my dad how to ride on when I get my new bike (I'm gettin' a 92' KX250 for $250... it's in great shape too). I just hope my old man doesn't get hurt too bad, he'd be so pissed at me :eek:

bah, nevermind. I guess I should read the whole thread first. That's a pretty cool night for ya I guess :applause: Hope yer dad likes it.

i have an 01 xr200 and i hate the drum brakes. i saw a new crf230 and it had rear drum brakes aswell, that sux. drum brakes are ok unless you go through lots of water and mud. i