Sign in to follow this  

Hi mile DRZS

Anyone know how many miles a 2002 DRZ-400S should last? I have 13600 miles on mine now of which almost half is dirt. I just had to change the stator (first engine problem so far). The mechanic that mounted my tires tonight said he was suprised to see one with so many miles. Anybody have more miles on theirs? Problems? I am wondering if I should keep putting money into it or trade it in on a new one (another DRZ of course! great bike). Thanks

I have about 6 KMi on my 02 most of it being completed in 2nd gear. Sort of remarkable when one considers that the bike has a 13-49 sprocket set up. About 5500 miles are dirt, rocks and mud. I normally use my truck to bring it to the areas I ride in. I have a road bike I use daily. It is nice having a plate on the DRZ S so I don't get tickets in the forests. The bike still puls hard and runs well. It is starting to show signs of being beat up though. Headlight is bent, bash plate is hammer fit to the bottem of the frame, all turn signals broken and replace with LED's, tail light assy broken off and replaced with LED's, seat torn, tank dented, fenders cracked, handle bars replaced severl times. The rims and motor are still in very good condition.

Why do so many people think a S would not last long ? At 17 000 miles mine is running like a new bike, pulls strong uses no oil and has no strange noises or piston slap etc. If you ride mostly on road and keep the filter and oil clean it will last a very long time before needing even a ring change (50 000km I would say).

I think the SM should be a good test to see how far the drz motor can go. Considering that most of the driving is done at consitantly higher speeds. And we should probalby get there pretty quick.

((Anyone know how many miles a 2002 DRZ-400S should last? I have 13600 miles on mine now of which almost half is dirt.))

My first stator went out at just over 20,000 miles. 2nd stator so far has about 13,000 miles on it still good. The stator is the only out right failure I've had, still on original battery even though the bad stator killed the battery down to 10.5 volt, it recovered. In large part I think it's how well put together the stator comes out of manufacturing has something to do with it, cause you see failures at 5,000 miles and without failure near 30,000 miles.

I know a guy with a Vstrom1000 his went out at 10,000 miles

Hi ,

My DRZ s has now 15107 miles on the clock in just under 3 years and still going strong , change the oil & filter every 1000 miles with 10/40 semi , let it warm up in the mornings and of we go again , go my supamoto wheels on at the moment as its summer here , all i seem to replace is chains and sprockets , now wearing 15 front 40 rear with a gold o'ring chain , must be the wheelies , took me a year of mesing around up in 2 ,3,4 put it down around 60-65 mph , just tring to carry it some distance now . back to the mileage yes no problems original cct , might do the 436 big bore this winter seem to have everthing else on it . :applause:

I've got 6800 miles on my 2005 DRZ - I've only owned it since December!!!

That's almost 1000 miles a month...

I should be up in the 5 digits within the year...

No problems (Knock on Wood)

I ride all gears to the rev-limiter, and WOT 75% of the time.. Lot of street riding and only about 1500 of the miles is Dirt..