Sign in to follow this  

Help an XR idiot

I'm looking at a trail bike for my dad. Can somebody tell me the differences between an XR200 and XR250? Mainly mid 80's to 90's. Thanks.

The XR200 was designed primarily as a bigger version of the XR100. A good trailbike and a good first bike for people learning how to ride. The XR250 is a slighlty smaller version of the XR400, a more durable and powerful machine. Correct me if I am wrong TTer's, this is just my understanding of the differences between the two machines.

j.

I would basically agree with jake, the xr200 is more of a easy to handle trail bike.. But the xr250 has a more comfortable suspension, and in the end is a faster bike.

Isnt the old xr200 in the same frame as the old xr250 is? From the mid to late 80s? I saw an old xr200 at a race and it was huge. It looked just like a xr250. I think I would rather have the 250 for the added power.

If you're buying it for your Dad, go with the 250. The 200 will become too small for him very quickly, both in frame size and power. If you do go with the 200 stay away from the '84-'85 years. They are trouble in breaking down and almost impossible to get parts for. To find out what I mean do a search in the XR200 forum.

Definately go with the xr250. Better brakes, suspension and more power. The 250 is a good bike to learn on also.