Rivet Connector Chain Help

So, I received a new chain and am putting it on along with the new front and rear sprockets. I get down to it and get the access links cut off the chain. I go to put on the master link when I then realized it is a rivet connection, not a clip. I do not have the chain press to press the rivets into place. I tried the C-clamp from the garage, which did not work by the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I am not seeing, or do I need to go get a press? If I need a press, is there any difference or will an inexpensive one do for the couple of times will ever use it?

Dont buy a normal link, the press rivets are the best.

All you need to do is cover that thing in the grease that it was supplied with and grab a pair of multi grips (dunno what you guys call them over there, adjustable pliers?) and squeze it on.

Do this by putting 2 small nuts, I think about 6mil but cant remember over where the pins will push through the link so that it doesnt stop when it goes through the link and hit the pliers. Dont squeze to hard though as they go on real easy, check as you go that your chain link still moves freely and thats it. Its done :-D

Ive never heard of one coming off but I like to use a small punch to flare the end of each pin out just a bit to make sure.

Good luck, I hope its an x-ring theyre the best. I would rather spend all day ridding than adjusting my chain lol

So, I go out to my garage at 5:30 this morning and could not get the Robo-grip pliers and nut to sit the rivet very much. Is it supposed to make a flange like the other connections in the chain, or will it be smaller?

So, I go out to my garage at 5:30 this morning and could not get the Robo-grip pliers and nut to sit the rivet very much. Is it supposed to make a flange like the other connections in the chain, or will it be smaller?

Rivet master link chains are for streetbikes. Where did you get a dirtbike chain with a rivet master link? That seems kind of silly to me. You end up taking off the chain a lot for cleaning, etc., on a dirtbike, and you can't take off a riveted chain without taking off the swingarm. I agree with the poster that said just go buy a 520 master link (spring type, for dirtbikes) and be done.

BTW, I would never use pliers to put on a rivet master link on my streetbikes. Motion Pro sells a kit for rivet master links. It costs about $130, but if you're using a rivet master link for the extra safety on your high-performance streetbike, you'd better press the rivets in correctly, IMO.

You use the pliers & nuts just to push the side plate all the way on. Then take a center punch to the center of the pins to flare the tip of the pins so the side plate wont come off. I did this method on my D I D x-ring, and I have about 20 hrs on it with no problems. :applause:

I got this DID X-ring from Rocky Mountain.com. I have never had a problem with them before, and I am guessing I just ordered the wrong part number. I think I will try to see if any of the dealers have a clip master link. Problem is the closest dealer for me a good 30 miles from me. If anyone has any ideas, keep 'em coming, thanks.

I got this DID X-ring from Rocky Mountain.com. I have never had a problem with them before, and I am guessing I just ordered the wrong part number. I think I will try to see if any of the dealers have a clip master link. Problem is the closest dealer for me a good 30 miles from me. If anyone has any ideas, keep 'em coming, thanks.

I did a search at Rocky Mountain MC on master link, and got a bunch of hits. They don't seem to show a DID X-ring master link, but here's the one for the 520 RK X-ring:

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00005402

Maybe just order that one up, or see if you can find the one for the DID X-Ring (or call them to ask). :applause:

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered one from Rocky Mountain too and it came with the rivet master link. So what did you end up doing to solve the problem? I have the clip on but I need to go buy the motion pro rivet tool now to flare the ends I guess.

I borrowed a Motion Pro tool from a friend of mine. It is actually a pretty cool tool. It has different attachments for the tool. One attachment helps press the plates together all the way. Another then flares the pins. It also has the attachments to press the pins back out if/when you ever need to take the chain off.

I tried to use some of the tips from above, but I never felt comfortable that I got the pins flared enough.

riveted master links are VERY common on dirt bikes. They started switching over years ago.

The larger bikes that are raced in Baja or other high speed high hp places are riveted links.

Personally i do like going with a clip on masterlink-just incase you get barbed wire or whatever wrapped around the rearend and have to take it off in the field (happens to me once every year or so). But my race bike has the riveted clip...so do all the other guys i know who race.

Use the very cool flare tool and dont believe everything ya read on the internet.