Sign in to follow this  

What's better - CRF70 or KLX-110

I'm looking to buy my 8 year old son a new dirtbike. I've narrowed it down to the CRF-70 and KLX-110. Both have auto clutch and seat height is 25-26". I wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on what bike is better, as in reliability, suspension, good for a novice rider, upgradeable, etc? Thanks for your help!

id say the klx would be better.. same seat height, probably about the same weight, suspension on the 110 is better and both are real reliable as a hammer. so id say with the 110 having more power thats what will give your son more laughs for longer :applause:

klx110for sure. i have a crf70 and it sucks, my friend has a klx and it is awesome

the KLX is gonna last a lot longer, have better power, better susp., and be more fun... for both of you! :applause:

I just bought my nine year old son his first bike. I went with the Yamaha TTR-90e as it was the only bike in the catagory with both an auto clutch and e-start. It's been really easy for him to learn on it and he's having a blast. I expect he'll need something bigger in a couple of years, but for me that's no worries 'cause his younger brother will be happy to take the 90 off his hands.

KLX has wayyyyy more hop-up potential for when he grows out of it and you want a pit bike.

im not too sure about that..... maybe frame and graphic wise... but you could put a tb 108 motor on a 70.. that thing would FLY! and you could get SP-5's for it by putting in the dampening rods from BBR... and rear shock... and the list goes on!

You can't go wrong with either one as far as stone cold reliability.

My 9 year old has the KLX110 and our next-door neighbor just bought a CRF70. Both kids fit either bike fine. The KLX's bigger displacement will give you a little more hop-up potential down the road.

thanks for all of the feedback...I really appreciate it! It looks like I'm going to go with the KLX.

I have a PW50, XR50 and XR70 for my sons. I think the little XR's are bullet proof. The XR70 is a super fun little bike and I ride it around all the time with my youngest in front of me.

I'd buy the Honda over the Kawasaki just for longevity and resale.

thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Just bought my son his KLX-110 today. He was a little nervous but had a great time. The bike fits him perfect!

:D My 6 year old son is needing a new bike pretty quick. He's been riding since 3 1/2, he started on a Honda QR50 then went to his Lem...which has a 22 inch seat height and rips :D. He's pretty much out grown it as both his feet are flat on the ground and his knees are slightly bent. I've been thinking about getting another Lem for him but he's really wanting a four stroke, would the DRZ/KLX 110 be alright for him to grow into??? The CRF50 would be a step down in my books so I'm looking a little bigger, I consider him an above average rider who's got the "bug" bigtime :D

Hey man, start him off on a 65. it gets him to start using the clutch, and since he is used to rippin on the lem, the 65 has a powerband like none other. KTM suggestion. Why drop him down from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke it is like a dirtbike compared to a bike.

I've thought about the 65's too, my wife even said we should get him one:lol: My only concern is the seat height. Even the KX60 is way tall for him compared to the CRF/DRZ-KLX. Is there a way to lower the seat height on the 65's???...like the RM for example:thinking:

I am also concerned about the weight factor with the four strokes, even the CRF50 is over 100lbs....his Lem is 70 :D