Sign in to follow this  

ktm 640 vs xr 650l

640 has more power...650 is probably a smoother machine for light trail use that would be more comfy on the road. The 640 would be better off road. Either bike is a real good "dual sport" machine

I had a 1993 XR650L before I bought my 2000 Duke II, of course the Duke isnt used for dirt but as far as the motor goes, the LC4 motor will stomp all over the XR650L, and from what I have read on this and other forums the LC4 dualsport is one heck of a good bike. But my XR650L besides being underpowered was still a really good bike I had friends that had straight up dirt bikes CR500's and XR600's and out in the desert my 650L would go anywhere they could go just at a little slower pace, and of course I had the option of hitting the street.

The 650 would be better off road and cheaper to buy.But the 640 Adventure would

be better if used on the street and also in the desert .Plus the 640 comes with a 7 gallon tank about 300 mile range.I have a 2003 640 Adventure which i have been trying to ride almost always offroad and it is too big for that purpose it is for sale or trade if interested contact me for all the details of the 640