Sign in to follow this  

which bike

What is everbodys opinion on the best dirtbike out there for converting to a dualsport? I am looking for somthing that can go down technical singletrack, slickrock in Utah and still be able to do alot of highway miles without excessive engine wear.

Honda CRF450X

Honda XR650R

Honda XR400

Yamaha WR450

KTM 525

Suzuki DRZ400

i would have to say XR, i just got off an XR 600 and it was good on the road and needed very little mateinance,put petrol in it and go! a bit heavy in the bush though, but an XR 400 would be perfect, ...................i would say KTM forshore as im on an 06 525 exc, and it's awesome, but they do require a fair bit of matenance compared to an XR and XR's are just unstopable engine wise!

not to mention if your doing alot of road rideing the seats on the XR are plush and soft, compaired to the KTM which is hard and rigid.....im a KTM man but im keeping it real for an all round good woods bike and good on the road with little matenance or engine wear is an XR 600, or 400!

here's a piccy of my old XR i just sold to a mate, it had alot of work done to it, but at the end of the day it was still an XR

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a301/raven525exc/myxr600_002.jpg

Well, between the technical single track and a lot of highway mileage requirements, you will have to choose which is more important. There's not a bike made that is going to be really good at both. I would say the KTM 525 EXC would be the best compromise. It won't be as happy on the highway as the XR650, but it will smoke it in single track. The KTM will also run right with the 450s in single track and be much more comfortable than them on the highway.