Sign in to follow this  

which bike

Which bike is best for dualsporting?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Which bike is best for dualsporting?

• Honda CRF450X
    • Honda XR650R
    • Honda XR400
    • Yamaha WR450
    • KTM 525
    • Suzuki DRZ400

What is everbodys opinion on the best dirtbike out there for converting to a dualsport? I am looking for somthing that can go down technical singletrack, slickrock in Utah and still be able to do alot of highway miles without excessive engine wear.

I would have to say the XR 650 is the best because it has the power to easily carry highway speeds with barely even revving the engine.

because you said you want something that cna take highway miles without engine wear. This kinda rules out hte crf, they are great bikes but durability isn't there high mark, and if I'm not mistaken they have very little oil in their case compared to some of the others.

I'd say if you want something that is best for the highway, go with the xr650. But if you want something great for the singletrack that can do a little highway, go for the KTM

525 or 650. The XR is more reliable and stuff but that KTM is so much fun. Mad crazy fast.

because you said you want something that cna take highway miles without engine wear. This kinda rules out hte crf, they are great bikes but durability isn't there high mark, and if I'm not mistaken they have very little oil in their case compared to some of the others.

I'd say if you want something that is best for the highway, go with the xr650. But if you want something great for the singletrack that can do a little highway, go for the KTM

The CRF doesn't hold much oil because it has separate engine and tranny oil, therefore complicating maintenance. I voted for the WR450, because it's the bike with the lightest weight on that list. If you are going to run singletrack, if you get anything over 240 pounds you're gonna wish you didn't get such a heavy bike. The XR650 and KTM525 can do singletrack, they are just very heavy and can be a lot to handle. The XR400 makes a great dual sport, but is lacking in power by about 30 horsepower compared to the 450s.

actually the ktm 525 weighs less than a WR I believe, although it sitll probably feels a litle heavier due to the increased rotational mass.

You are asking for a bike that doesn't exist. The best dualsport would probably be the XR650, but imagine taking that down technical stuff. The 525 would be fairly good for the technical stuff, but imagine the oil changes/valve adjustments you would be doing with the mileage you would be putting on.

The XR 650 R is what you need.

You will fall in love with the bike, its nimble, powerful, and bulletproof. The extra bit of weight is negated by the ultra reliability.

My friend has the KTM 525, and he cant hack it on the paved roads and he uses way too many parts.

Get the 650R, don't even consider anything else.

Oh, and an Edelbrock carb, of course.

XR 650r for dualsporting purposes. Gear it up and put the 7 gallon IMS tank on it and you can play in the desert for days!

XR 400 would be more forgiving in the tight stuff, but it tops out at about 85-90 ish mph depending on the gearing. The WR 450f tops out at about 100 mph and I think the KTM 525 with the six speed tops out at 113. Just some things for you to consider

my friend has a wr 450 and loves it but then again he also loves my ttr125l bc its a lot lighter and he can trow it around on the trails

What is everbodys opinion on the best dirtbike out there for converting to a dualsport? I am looking for somthing that can go down technical singletrack, slickrock in Utah and still be able to do alot of highway miles without excessive engine wear.

Your last sentence...

and still be able to do alot of highway miles without excessive engine wear

nailed it...Very easy... The DRZ400... All the other bikes listed are outstanding

off-road machines but not designed for highway miles... The DRZ400 Engine is...whether it's the Street Legal "S" or the Off-road "E"... If you are sure you can plate an off-road model then get the "E"... The "S" can be made just as dirt worthy through mods and removing factory junk... Again nothing against those machines listed as they are all outstanding but not as a truly DUAL-SPORT machine that will be used on the road for more than a mile to and from the trails...