Sign in to follow this  

Looking for great experience of Rocky Mnts. Trails for 3 days/camping?

Me and 3 long-time riding buddies are super pumped to come up to Colorado and explore the mountains on our bikes. We all ride at least twice a week at local tracks and race on occasssion for the last 5 years. We are in our early 30's and can't wait to get out of this heat and enjoy Colorado. Any info on where we should go would be greatly appreciated. We want to stay within a hour or so of Denver cause we are going to the National Race in Lakewood on the 24th. If anyone has experienced Grand Lake Trails, Rampart Range, Georgetown/Empire, or Woodland Park I would like to hear your thoughts. A place where we could ride/camp for 3 days with awesome views, trees, lakes, rivers, elevation changes, and look at a trail that we have to seriously consider for a while if we should try it or not, would be more than we could ever expect or hope for. I look forward to your response. Oh yeah, 3 of us will be on 04-05 CRF 450s and one on a RM 250. Do we need spark arrestors, and when we get into higher elecations will the 2-stroke have jetting issues with its basically stock settings?

rampart range is very fun depending on what part of the week you go... weekends are fun but croweded durring the week is the best time to go for me. Rainbow falls just north of woodland park is one of my favorites the riding and camping is really fune there too, but weekends are the same as rampart. yes if you are going to ride in the mountains you need a spark aresstor and colorado OHV registration which you can do online and make a temporary print out to show the forest service if they stop you... also another good riding area is a few miles south of rainbow falls just out of painted rocks road, (also all rampart area) A town called central city has fun riding up ubove there too near columbine camp ground and st. marys glacier and locklomand in that area. there isnt much riding ubove geaorge town considering ive been there once. there is ute pass a while north out of silverthorne near lake dillon on i-70... Well if you do come hope you have fun and enjoy the riding. Joel

joel, thanks for the info. i've been checking out rainbow trail and it looks good. what about alpine loop? are there any lakes or creeks/rivers at the rainbow trail? we will pull in town next wednesday and ride/camp till sat. and then go to the races. are you going to the races in lakewood? if so, come by our camp and drink some beers.

joel, thanks for the info. i've been checking out rainbow trail and it looks good. what about alpine loop? are there any lakes or creeks/rivers at the rainbow trail? we will pull in town next wednesday and ride/camp till sat. and then go to the races. are you going to the races in lakewood? if so, come by our camp and drink some beers.

For the record, Rainbow Trail and Rainbow Falls aren't the same place. If that's understood, ignore me, please. :applause:

What you described as what you want to ride, I'd suggest heading to Taylor Park. Go to Buena Vista, then take Cottonwood Pass road West into Taylor Park. Lots of camping, lots of vistas, lots of elevation changes. You'll be starting at approx 10K' ASL so all of you will likely need at least one size smaller jets. I haven't ridden my CR at that altitude but my WR likes less fuel there.

We'll be at the National as well. Hope you already have camping reservations. Drop by the MH with THMERFS in Colorado plates and we'll benchrace and share a brew or two. We'll be there Friday a little before 10AM. (like around 9ish!)

Enjoy your trip,

trailryder, those pics are awesome. rampart looks pretty challenging, lot of rocks out there? taylor park looks like alot of fun too. we are coming up from austin. how is the weather around taylor park this time of year?

Grand lake is about 2 hours from Denver but well worth it. Lots of primitive camping along Stillwater pass road (a road that you can ride your bikes on btw). Creeks, moose, views, and usually about ten degrees cooler than Rampart. Way more elevation than Rampart as well. Jet for 8500'. I highly recommend it!

merfman, i was thinking the same about taylor park. what about adjusting the air screw on a 4-stroke, would that be sufficient? i called for reservations to camp at the races and they were all filled up except for a overflow area about 5 minutes from the track where they will be shuttling people to the track. so i am guessing thats where we will be unless we get lucky, but we will be showing up saturday morning so will probably be sent out yonder. we will look for your mh for sure and do some benchracing, beer-drinkin, and girl chasin. thanks again :applause:

You'll want to rejet all your bikes, especially if you go to a technical riding area. Rock strewn trails with a rich running bike will make you hate life, I guarantee. For comparison, I run a 180-182 MJ near Lubbock, and a 168 for Taylor Park elevations. You will probably have to drop the needle too, but you can do that as needed.

Weather in Colo is pretty much "subject to change at any moment". Bring your cold/wet riding gear along with warm.

Re: air screw, ya, what 'Zen said. The fuel screw is only going to mostly affect 0-1/8 throttle response. Go 1 step leaner on the needle and main and you can probably get away with leaning out the fuel screw but why not change the pilot too? It's pretty easy to change the jetting on the CRF's.

See ya at the races! Enjoy the ride!

yeah mxshae17 ill be at the races at thundervaley saturday and sunday maybe i can watch for ya...

Dude, it's hot here too :applause:

Indeed. Even at elevation temps are in the 80's in many areas.

If you are restricting yourself to 1 hour of Denver you are talking Rampart, (all ATV wide and crowded on weekends) Miles of trails.

A little farther is Woodland park. Much like Rampart, but a bit less traffic.

As said above, Stillwater is fun, connect it to Rand and ride some of the best singletrack in the state (Quad please stay off!)

Taylor is incredible but way outside the 1 hour drive from Denver.

check your PM's