Sign in to follow this  

It's been 27.8 hours

Hey fellas,

It's been almost 30 hours on my '05 YZ250F. I have changed the oil filter 3 times, and done 6 oil changes almost. (Oil change every 5, filter every 10.)

(And the oil is always clean)

Do you think it is about time to get the valves checked? The bike is starting to get a little hard to start. It takes a few more kicks then usual. Perhaps it's time to get them checked? Is there anything else that may need to be checked?

Thanks a lot.

Ben.

I believe the reccomended first valve check is at 9 hours. Make sure you do it yourself...it's easy. I had my dealer do my first one just to have it documented so that if the motor blew up 2 months after I bought it they wouldn't have that as a scape goat. It cost me $150 :applause: Never again.

No problemo. I will check them after the weekend.

Thanks a lot.

Are you warming the bike up before you drain the oil? Just wondering because I heard recently on TT that if you warm up the bike before you change it, you will get much more foreign material out of it. I used to change my oil before I rode and it would come out clean. I change it after the bike is warmed up, and now it looks like metallic paint. The metallic bits are probably the friction material scraped off everytime you engage/disengage/slip the clutch. Makes me feel better at least.

I checked the valves on my 05 yz250f after about 25 hours and they were still in spec. Totally surprised to say the least. I spent 4 days at Gary Bailey's and rode about 10 hours a day so I think I will check them again this weekend

Good time to check no doubt. I have an 05 with 54 hours on it and all the valves are still in spec! :applause: Amazing if you ask me. My buddy has on 04 with 90 hours on it and the valves are just now getting on the tight side. These motors are simply awesome! :eek:

Disclaimer: Don't read this and think you shouldn't check your valves, all motors and riders vary.

Are you warming the bike up before you drain the oil? Just wondering because I heard recently on TT that if you warm up the bike before you change it, you will get much more foreign material out of it. I used to change my oil before I rode and it would come out clean. I change it after the bike is warmed up, and now it looks like metallic paint. The metallic bits are probably the friction material scraped off everytime you engage/disengage/slip the clutch. Makes me feel better at least.

No I don't believe in warming it up before draining. I find it easier to drain the oil from the sump, and not at the tank in the frame. And heavy stuff sinks, so the metal should be at the bottom. If you start it up, and it will just move all the metal shavings throughout the motor.

No I don't believe in warming it up before draining. I find it easier to drain the oil from the sump, and not at the tank in the frame. And heavy stuff sinks, so the metal should be at the bottom. If you start it up, and it will just move all the metal shavings throughout the motor.

Well, yes and no............

Yes the heavy stuff sinks, but the problem with NOT warming your bike up is that most of the "heavy stuff" stays stuck to the "floor" of the sump when you drain it cold. Warming it up first (and therefore circulating the oil) mixes the "heavy stuff" back into the oil which is still "in suspension" when drained (so it comes out with the oil).

You get more benefit from an oil change if you warm your bike up first. :applause: