Sign in to follow this  

xr250 vs xr400

i have a xr250 with several mods.. but i was wondering how much better a xr400 would be.. i no the xr400 would win a race. but how much better is it in speed, handling, power thanks

i have a xr250 with several mods.. but i was wondering how much better a xr400 would be.. i no the xr400 would win a race. but how much better is it in speed, handling, power thanks

No one can answer this question but you. I believe...

That the 250 handles better, is lighter, and has a more versatile tranny (6 spd vs 5 spd). With mods you can reach the stock HP numbers of the 400, without as much torque. You cannot make as much HP and/or torque as a modified 400...can't be done.

The answer really depends on your defining parameters. The 250 will never ever be as good at more open western terrain than a 400. Tight nasty slick east coast woods, I actually think that the 250 is a better by a significant margin. Between the two it is a personal call. While I chose a modified 250, I will never argue that the 400 isn't the most versatile bike ever made when considering woods, most people's trails/fire roads, desert, dual sport capability. I really don't think that MX figures in for either of these bikes IMHO.

BTW, I would still love to have a electronic copy of the 250 vs 280 vs 400 vs 440 shoot out....anyone???

My buddy has a 280 and when my 400 was stock my bike was still able to pull away from it but not by much. The major difference between stock XR 400 and a modified 280 is that the 400 has a lot more low end torque but the 280 is lighter feeling. Too me it wouldn't be worth it to change up from 280 to the 400 power wise unless you were spend $$$ on 426/440 kits, cam, etc. to greatly boost power. If you’re looking for more power you could always get a CRF/WR/EXC but then you’ll have radiators and more maintenance to worry about. :applause:

You already have a sick bike, leave it alone and enjoy.

These two bikes outshine each other in different areas. Nothing beats the XR250 for low-speed snotty riding and tight trails. As soon as the trails open up and the 400's extra power/torque, longer wheelbase (more stable) and slightly better suspension (more travel) can be used to advantage, it is the better choice. It comes down to what sort of riding you do most.

in anything but very tight SINGLE track the xr400 is a far faster bike imo..but its also 75% rider 25% bike. i like them both but would not get a 250 due to my size and lack of power for the kind of riding i do.

I have owned both (still own the xr250) and rode both back to back last week. Hands down I prefer the xr250 over the xr400, even though the 400 has more power. IMHO the xr250 handles MUCH better than the xr400.

maybe its my size.. 205 with gear..but i was out the stock 250 suspension pretty bad. i can barly tell the weight difference when riding the 2 bikes imo what makes the bike faster in the tight stuff is the 6 speed. both great bikes tho

maybe its my size.. 205 with gear..but i was out the stock 250 suspension pretty bad. i can barly tell the weight difference when riding the 2 bikes imo what makes the bike faster in the tight stuff is the 6 speed. both great bikes tho
How does the 6spd make the 250 faster in the tight stuff than the 400? The 250 needs the extra gear to keep the bike in the usable power range where the extra power and torque of the 400 makes a 6spd unnecessary.

I'd say it has more to do with the steering geometry and weight.

for me on tight stuff the 2nd and 3rd gear on the 250 is far more usable than the 2nd and 3rd on the 400 in tight conditions. the 250 i can really make scream in 3rd on the single track which puts the bike at a higher rpm making it more responsive. where as on my 400 at the same speed i have to lug it low rpm's in 3rd thus taking away and power advantage via throttle response.. i feel on tight trails on my bike alot of the time 2nd gear is to slow and 3rd is to fast..so i just lug it in 3rd alot and use my clutch alot..where on a 250 i can just hammer it in 3rd..if any of this makes any sense to anyone :applause:

for me on tight stuff the 2nd and 3rd gear on the 250 is far more usable than the 2nd and 3rd on the 400 in tight conditions. the 250 i can really make scream in 3rd on the single track which puts the bike at a higher rpm making it more responsive. where as on my 400 at the same speed i have to lug it low rpm's in 3rd thus taking away and power advantage via throttle response.. i feel on tight trails on my bike alot of the time 2nd gear is to slow and 3rd is to fast..so i just lug it in 3rd alot and use my clutch alot..where on a 250 i can just hammer it in 3rd..if any of this makes any sense to anyone :applause:
Why don't you change your gearing?

I have all the copies but, to sum it up read this page.

280.jpg

Thanks Mar!!!

Why don't you change your gearing?

my gearing is changed..if i made it any lower 1rst gear would be almost unusable. i am not complaining i am just giving my opinion on the difference in bikes. i like my xr400 and would not even think about trading it for a 250.

my gearing is changed..if i made it any lower 1rst gear would be almost unusable. i am not complaining i am just giving my opinion on the difference in bikes. i like my xr400 and would not even think about trading it for a 250.
If 2nds too low and 3rds too high: Gear higher so you run 1st/2nd instead of 2nd/3rd. I, personally, don't like 1/2 and 2/1 shifting on the trails and I do like a 1st gear that is crawling speed so I've got my 250 geared way low which puts me in 3rd most of the time which does sacrifice top end slightly but where I ride it doesn't really matter.

Playing with your gearing can't hurt anything, is relatively inexpensive and going up may surprize you.

ive had it geared up before and i geared it down to have better acceleration and "snap" and i have already taken enough top speed off the bike and often find myself trying to upshift out of 5th on more open trails. and personally if you a riding in 1rst gear you are going way to slow unless it is a crawling situation..i like to go a bit faster and let my momentum hold up the weight of the bike for me. i also found that with it geared taller i still had to shift into 3rd alot and was just coasting around in 3rd and having to slam it back down to second even more. i personally like the gearing on my bike and was just stating what makes me be able to ride the xr250 faster through tight stuff is the gearing and not the weight of the bike.

For the most fun ride on the planet - I prefer the xr250r. It weighs 30 pounds less than an XR400R. I prefer a bike under 250 pounds for "the tight stuff".

- jeff

For the most fun ride on the planet - I prefer the xr250r. It weighs 30 pounds less than an XR400R. I prefer a bike under 250 pounds for "the tight stuff".

- jeff

the xr400 only weighs 17lbs more than the xr250 as far as I can tell, not 30lbs.

i geared it down to have better acceleration and "snap"

Try taking some weight off the flywheel to give the 250 more "snap". The stocker weighs 4 lbs!!! I took twelve ounces from mine and notice no difference in bottom end power.

I removed the counter balancer from my XR250, similar result more revability and just as much torque.

Both the 400 and 250 are great bikes for what they are designed for.

Suspension work definatley helps