Sign in to follow this  

I have a couple questions on my KXF

I have only had the bike for about 1.5 weeks so far and I love it!

The first thing I was wondering is: Is there a trick to getting these bikes started in hot weather? I went down twice in practice when I first got the bike (I got to high in the berm and my front tire hopped over both times). Both times it fired right up. Then racing Sunday, I layed it down in a corner and it took about 3 minutes to get it started :eek: It was also over 100 degrees out too, I don't know if that would have made it harder to start or not. I went from like top 3 to dead last. I tried starting it with hot start and without and nothing seemed to work. It finally kicked over just in time for me to get the checkered flag. I know the simplest thing is to not fall. Is there some trick to getting it started after dumping the bike?

How often do you guys change your engine oil? I know on the YZF, I just change it when its needed, my dad usually rides that bike and doesn't ride it that hard. I changed the oil and filter after breaking it in. Then after about 3 hours of riding it was really dirty already, so I changed it just to be safe. The manual says to change it every 6 hours though :applause: Should I replace the oil filter every time I do the oil too?

> Is there a trick to getting these bikes started in hot weather?

Humidity is the real culprit. Is your backfire screen out? Is your air screw turned out 2 turns? Were you in neutral? Do you slowly kick it up to the compression stroke then kick it as hard and fast as you can?

Everyone on this forum seems to favor a 42 pilot for easier starting.

Of course you don't even look at the throttle when ever you start it, right?

> manual says to change it every 6 hours....Should I replace the

> oil filter every time I do the oil too?

Follow the manual. I drain both plugs and change the oil filter at every oil change with 50oz (1475cc) of Mobile1 MX4T.

My backfire screen is still in. All the carb settings are stock. I tried to start it in gear first, then put it in neutral when it wouldn't start and it still wouldn't start. And no, I didn't touch the throttle when trying to start it.

As silly as this sounds if mine is really hot and I stall it, it won't kick over. Mine is usually very easy to start hot or cold. I open my throttle fully and hold it there, kick it over a few times until it either start or coughs. If it coughs I then close the throttle and start it like normal. Hot start doesn't seem to make much difference to mine.

Always start in neutral and kick from top dead centre. Don't thrash away like kicking a 2 stroke as this seldom works.