Sign in to follow this  

Lowering front fork Q.

On old school forks (right side up with tubes at top of fork).

I lowered my sons bike KTM mini adventure) by putting a spring at the bottom of the rebound piston assembly and removing the preload spacer.

The first time I had it lowered about three inches and it took a 3 inch spring to do it, and if I'm thinking correctly doubled the preload (but I saved my springs).

Now, I want to raise it up some and want to get back to factory specs for preload.

If I can find a spring that is the same length as the preload spacer, will I be running the same preload on the fork spring but just preloading from the bottom?

I recognize I'm sacrificing travel but will the fork act the same except that it will bottom sooner?

Man I hope this is a yes... :applause:

Eddie

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say....You want to remove the spring from dampning/cartridge tube and put it where the preload tube/spacer was? If that is what you want to do you will be making the spring much lighter when you add more coils to the overall length of the spring.

Let me see if I can explain.

I lowered the bike by keeping the bike completely stock except I removed the preload spacer at the top of the spring.

Then, I pulled the damper rod (as you explained earlier, this would be for comprsession and rebound and is for all practical purposes a rod (tube) with holes in it, a fat piston end, and a spring up near the piston that's attached.

So, I purchased a spring that was 3 inches long with an ID the same as the damper rod. I put the spring on the damper rod keeping everything else about the damper rod stock, so I now have two springs on the damper rod.

I assembled everything and now the forks are 3" shorter but at the expense of 3" of travel, and because, (if I'm thinking correctly), the additional spring I installed was about twice as long as the preload spacer that came with the bike, I effectively doubled up on the preload.... but I added preload from the BOTTOM of the regular fork spring.

So, now I still need to keep the bike lowered but about half as much (1-1/2", which, just by coincidence is about the length of the preload spacer. So, If I find a shorter spring to replace the 3" one I put in before, then reassemble everything (again without the preload spacer), Will the forks now be set up with factory spec preload (albeit from the bottom of the spring)?

If so, then will the forks act like they would if I hadn't lowered the bike except that I just will bottom faster because I don't have as much stroke (1-1/2" less).

In other words. Will 2" compression (and rebound) with my setup feel the same as the forks with no lowering mods?

Thanks!

Eddie

Sounds correct. Since you only touch the ground when stopped.....Would starting blocks enable the rider to touch the ground at starts but not have the negative affects of shorter travel?

Lumpy.

He can probably ride the bike taller without too many probs.

He's 4 1/2 & pretty short though.

Not so much interested in racing right now.... but soon enough.

More interested right now in building up his confidence. Since he's not jumping very high right now, I'm not concerned about bottoming yet.

When bottoming becomes an issue, I'll break it back down.

Thanks for helping!

Eddie