Sign in to follow this  

dry assembly of fork...

I'm reluctant to ask this because it probably should be obvious to me by now but here goes anyway... :applause:

If I dry assemble my forks (no oil in them) and put them back on my bike and jump up and down, will there be a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the way the fork reacts during the compression stroke?

Would this be different for a mini fork like on a KTM mini adventure, that as best I can tell has only rebound "valving".

Eddie

Well, there will be no oil going through the valves. Instead, it will be air, and it will go through much quicker. So yes, you should notice it very easily.

Eddie,

Like Robbo was saying, without any fluid there will be no damping. You will be feeling only the spring with nothing to slow its motion up or down.

Like a pogo stick. :eek:

:applause:

I have never been inside a Mini KTM fork but I am sure there is some kind of compression dampening. Do they have a cartridge assy or are they like the old dampening rod? Any one know?

I answered my own question......they are old style dampning rod. The small holes in the side of the rod are what does both the compression & rebound dampning. The oil flows back and forth threw the holes and cause a resistance to the flow.

Does that help explain it??? :applause:

Thanks everyone. Cool. Yes, I "understand" now.

Biggest part of the question was didn't "see" and compression damping valve so didn't know how would react.

Pogo stick, yep, that's exactly how it acts & sounds.

Problem was, the forks were only factory on this bike at Christmas and since then I've I've changed alot so couldn't remember how they felt.

I was thinking, Man, if this thing is gonna be this spongy when I put oil in therre I'm going back to the bigger preload.

As always, thanks a bunch!

Eddie

If you are talking about the KTM65's they have comp. on the brake side & rebound on the right.

doc

Doc-

the "mini adventure" is the air cooled 50cc bike.

Interesting on the 65's, however.

How about this....

Does oil, or oil level in anyway affect SAG?

In other words,Can I get an accurate sag reading without oil in the forks?

I was hoping I could check the sag without oil so I could adjust my lowering spring height to get proper sag and still lower suspension somewhat.

Oil would make this very messy because I'd have to remove the spring (disassemble fork) each time to adjust spring.

Eddie

No.

Unless you filled the forks to the top, or close to it, oil won't affect sag.

The oil will be displaced once the suspension is loaded. It slows the motion of the components but doesn't set static ride height.

The springs support the combined mass of the bike and rider.

So, yes, you can check sag without having the forks filled.

:applause: