Sign in to follow this  

2004 CRF450 Dies after 5 mins. Riding

I have an 04 CRF 450 that keeps dying after about 5 mins. riding time, It starts to cut out, like it is running rich. Stop the bike and restart and it runs for a minute or so and stops. Restart and it will only run a minute or so. The Microsoft motorcycle I guess.

Checked carb, 165 main, 42 pilot, stock needle, stock position, checked float position, changed float valve. When the bike starts to act up I have pulled the choke no change, tried pulling the hot start, no change.

Went through ignition checks per manual, stator and pulse generator measure out perfect. Replace the coil the last time out, not plug cap yet. Bike has a trailtech 13 oz flywheel, changed to stock no change.

I am now down to the ICM and plug cap.

Has anyone else had ICM issues on an 04?? :applause:

why do you think rich?just suggesting obvious but could be clogged fuel line or breather hose to tank.after sitting it gets fuel again.probably not the problem but just a thought i have done it to my friends bikes on purpose to mess with them put a nail in tank breather hose watch them try to start it 5 min later and push back to truck

Unscrewed cap when it died no difference. Check fuel flow it is normal, as well as inlet area in the carb.

Pick up coil? Do these bikes even have them? My buddies old xr350 had same problem and he basically rebuilt entire bike before this was found. Would only die when hot. Just a thought.....

This is kind of stupid, but....

There isnt water in the plug cap area is there? if the breather hole got plugged somehow, when its cold, it'll be fine but when it gets warm it steams up and shorts the plug wire...Ive seen this on a couple cars with hemi style heads...

A friend of mine put on a flywheel weight on his bike. After some minutes of riding after that the bike just died... Started up fine, and worked for a couple of minutes again, then dead...

Checked everything but could´nt find anything wrong :applause:

After some headscratching he found out that when the engine (or the flywheel) got warm, it´s expanded, and that resulted in a short circuit on the pickup!

Solved the problem by polishing the "weldings" (lödning på svenska :eek: ) down so they would´nt came in contact whit the flywheel.

Ahhh, hope i make myself understood :)

Kalle [sWE]

Tried the gas vent, same result. Replaced the ICM, same result. The bike starts fine, once warmed up if you hold the throttle steady at about 1/2 throttle it starts backfiring and dies. Kick it over, starts right back up.

Tried dropping the main from 165 to 162, same result. Tried dropping the needle to no. 3 position instead of no. 4, same result.

The pulse generator is putting out the right voltage, the stator is putting out 70 volts, spec. is 50 - 100 volts.

I went back into the top end yesterday and inspected everything, nothing out of place. I did notice that my cam chain adjuster seems to be all the way out.

Would a worn cam chain cause this?? How do I tell if it is worn??

I am about to take this thing back to the dealer for repair then she goes on the block.

UGH!!!!

Tried the gas vent, same result. Replaced the ICM, same result. The bike starts fine, once warmed up if you hold the throttle steady at about 1/2 throttle it starts backfiring and dies. Kick it over, starts right back up.

Tried dropping the main from 165 to 162, same result. Tried dropping the needle to no. 3 position instead of no. 4, same result.

The pulse generator is putting out the right voltage, the stator is putting out 70 volts, spec. is 50 - 100 volts.

I went back into the top end yesterday and inspected everything, nothing out of place. I did notice that my cam chain adjuster seems to be all the way out.

Would a worn cam chain cause this?? How do I tell if it is worn??

I am about to take this thing back to the dealer for repair then she goes on the block.

UGH!!!!

Sure seems like a plugged vent line or something. Did you say it has an aftermarket flywheel? If so:

Take that thing off, put the stock one back on.

There have been quite a few problems with aftermarket flywheels. A couple companies have resolved thier issues, but it almost seems like a wild card problem...you just never know when you will have a problem with one coming up...

Edit:

I was parusing this site and found this post...

http://www.flattrack.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=2241&mesg_id=2241&page=3

:applause:

he did sau he had an afternmarket flywheel didnt he?

I will be it's the flywheel - put the stock flwyheel back on and see how she runs.

I have a trailtech flywheel/staor combo and it is AWESOME. However early on there were quite a few guys who had the kind of trouble you describe - running then cuts out. it's to do wth the timing marks on the flwheel

I bet it's your flywheel.

The best thing is Trailtech are poissibly the best motorcycle accessory shop around - their stuff is good but we're not all perfect and when there's a problem they fix it fast.

Went through ignition checks per manual, stator and pulse generator measure out perfect. Replace the coil the last time out, not plug cap yet. Bike has a trailtech 13 oz flywheel, changed to stock no change.

From his first post.

Well folks, after having the local shop go through the entire electrical system, it turned out that it was the Trailtech flywheel. They have two different flywheels, one with low strength magnets for no lights or lighting coil and one with high strength magnets to run lights with a rewound stator.

Apparently the high strength magnets can really screw with your ignition, apparently so. Anyway Trailtech will either swap my flywheel or I can have my stator rewound for lights, so happy trails again!!!

I have an 04 CRF 450 that keeps dying after about 5 mins. riding time, It starts to cut out, like it is running rich. :D

Choke???

I have a 2005 CRF450 with exactly the same problem. I have tried everything that has been mentioned with no improvement. At the moment the bike is at my local Honda dealer who after two weeks of trying is ready to throw the towel in. Did you ever find the problem? If so could you please tell me what it is. Thanks

I have a 2005 CRF450 with exactly the same problem. I have tried everything that has been mentioned with no improvement. At the moment the bike is at my local Honda dealer who after two weeks of trying is ready to throw the towel in. Did you ever find the problem? If so could you please tell me what it is. Thanks

read the WHOLE thread... the problem has been found and solved....

Well folks, after having the local shop go through the entire electrical system, it turned out that it was the Trailtech flywheel. They have two different flywheels, one with low strength magnets for no lights or lighting coil and one with high strength magnets to run lights with a rewound stator.

Apparently the high strength magnets can really screw with your ignition, apparently so. Anyway Trailtech will either swap my flywheel or I can have my stator rewound for lights, so happy trails again!!!

Is it gonna cost you anything to have Trailtech swap your flywheel?