Sign in to follow this  

Rebound Adjustment After Seal Change

I recently changed my fork seals on my 05 CRF450R and it really wasn't as bad as I imagined. I followed the owners manual for disassembly and reassembly. The manual states that the rebound adjuster has to be clicked CCW all the way out (if I remember correctly).

I reassembled without the used of the manual thinking it was just as simple as putting all the parts back together (mistake 1), but when I was done I realized there was a section on measuring the gap between the rebound adjuster assy. and the nut of about 1.5 to 2.0 mm at finger tight then adjusting accordingly. I didn't measure the gap and tightened the adjuster assy snug to the nut and closed everything up, filled with oil, and adjusted rebound to setting before seal change.

Should I open the fork up again and adjust to 1.5 to 2.0 mm?

What effect will it have on my fork?

:applause:

no. no. ---

i think these manuels can screw you up here.

what they want you to do is to make sure you have the rebound adjuster jammed up tight to the damper rod , and that you have some clearance from the nut to the adjuster so you know you are jammed on the rod,

then you tighten up the nut tight against the adjuster to 16 or 18 ft lbs and you there.

i have seen guys leave this clearance and go ride and the ft end of their bike comes appart and really screws their forks up badly-----$1000 worth of badly.

if you don't get the adjuster all the way on the rod and you tighten the nut against it you will have more travel in one side than the other,

this is why they want you to be sure you are bottomed out in the adjuster before you screw the nut up to it,

i have bikes all the time come in where one side has 1/2" more travel than the other because somebody did not get it on correctly.

just pull your ft wheel and measure the chrome from you stantion tubes from your axle bosses to your dust seals and both sides should be the same,

if one side is longer you need to take it back appart and reassemble it all again !!

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if I could have screwed something up. I was worried that I may have damaged something. You're right the manual is kinda confusing (to me anyhow).

I will check the travel on each leg tonight and adjust accordingly. I didn't have a hard time getting the wheel axle on so I believe they are pretty close to equal length. :applause: