Sign in to follow this  

To 05 or to 06 that is the question

Ok guys, im selling my 2003 RM250 which I love and am gonna spend a year or two on these awesome RM-Z450s. The 05 model is real cheap here now as they are doing thier run out models. Should I save my self a bit of money or should I wait for the much improved 06. Or will the 05 be just as good as the 06.

I know its hard to say cause the bike isnt out yet but on paper what they have done for the 06 does sound impressive but if that works out to be in the real world is yet to be seen. Sometimes its all marketing to sell new bikes.

A real good first year bike im hearing

Any input would be great, I dont mind mixing my gas for a few more months as I love whiping that 250 throttle open.

I ride mostly mx and flat tracks with trails and some beach riding. Am 5'10 and 80kgs. I will be putting my scotts damper on the rmz, but doubt the tripple clamps will be the same, dont think my sdg gripper seat will fit either, but the air filters are the same :-)

There is very little differance between the 05 and 06 models since the 05 was released so late. If it was a 2 stroke I would wait for the 06 do to the lousy resale values of the 2 strokes but I would get the 05 450 if the deal was better.

By the way I also came off the 03 RM250 and you will never miss that bike after you get the RMZ450.... NEVER.

My mate has just gone to pick up his 05 today, I will take it for a ride this weekend and think about the hot start lever and blue graphics lol. I allways run custom graphics from xgx racing and I can just put a rmz250 hot start on as they are longer and will reach the bars.

I know once I ride it, im one of those people that cant wait so I guess I will be getting the 05. If the 06 is really any different then I can allways trade up later.

These are the updates for the 06 if anyones interested

Updates to the 2006 RM-Z450 include the following:

Engine Updates

New cylinder head with redesigned intake port shape for increased low-to-mid-range power

Revised carburetor settings for improved low-to-midrange power

New piston oil-control rings featuring chrome-nitride coating for improved sealing and reduced friction

Revised ignition mapping for increased power output especially at low-to-mid-range rpm

Higher final drive ratio, (49/14 to 48/14), for smoother power delivery control at all rpm

Reshaped shift fork guide pins for more positive feeling gear shifts

Relocated hot-start lever for easier access

Chassis Updates

Reinforced steering head pipe for improved frame rigidity

New swingarm with increased main beam height dimension for improved traction and straight line stability

New front fork and rear shock settings for improved cornering and straight line performance

New rear brake caliper with higher rigidity for increased stopping power and better brake feel