Sign in to follow this  

2 Questions! Oregon bike liscensing and Diamond Lake trails

I have two questions!

I just got my motorcylce permit today so dad and i can ride together. My bike is a CRF230F, it has blinkers, braking tailight, a horn, headlight, high beams, high beam indicator, and the stock knobbies. I plan to buy a Garmin eTrex GPS and handlebar mount to use as a speedo. Am i street legal? How do i obtain a plate?

Second, ive been snowmobiling in diamond lake in the winter, what are the trails like in the summer? Ive never seen them without snow on them before! Are they any fun? I would like to ride up Mount Bailey it was such an awesome trail in the winter!

Find the Prospect Ranger Station or Oregon OHV on line and you'll see the area. It gets real dusty up there but you can find areas where it's not too bad. I went opening weekend pretty, higher elevation so a little cooler. On the issue of getting plates, first you need to get insurance then take that and your title to the DMV and smile and tell them you want to get a plate for your bike, you don't even have to take it down there. When asked about my odometer reading I told them someone took it off and I just signed a paper saying that. :applause: MD

I was just at Diamond Lake last week and took the pumpkin along.

The trails are mostly FS road that are used by the Snow crowd in the winter. Many are closed to bikes and quads and labeled snow machine only.

There are many roads/trails that head off from the ski hill area by the resort. You could spend a day exploring that area.

I tried the single track over on the other side of the lake, (forgot the trail name?) but there was blowdown I couldn't get over less than 2 miles in.

Seen one quad in the two days I rode. No-one seems to ride out there thus the blowdown. Can be dusty! The pumis dust is very fine. Clean your air filter after a dusty session. The Ranger Station across from the State Park was very helpful on where to ride. They have free maps for the trail heads, and inexpensive ($1.50?) maps that show great trail detail.

Watch the ruts in the roads! Looks like quads riding during the thaw rutted things up a bit. The ruts have dried into concrete hard channels in the roads that can catch you off guard if not paying attention.

There is another area just down the road called Prospect. I did not get the chance to get out there.

You can find basic info on the riding areas here.

http://atv.prd.state.or.us/fetch_regions.php?usemap=1&regionByMap=inland

Have fun! Leroy

:applause:

Thanks for the information! I just got my motorcylce permit yesterday, and dad and i both have dual sported bikes, we can ride all over up there as long as we are together. I cant ride at night though :applause:. I am going to take Team oregon's basic rider training in a few weeks to get my endorsement.

And... i just bought a Garmin eTrex GPS to mount on my handlebars. I will have a speedo and it will show me how to get home when i got lost!