Gearing up 520 MXC do I need a new chain

I recently bought an 01 520 mxc and am taking everyones advice about going up to a 52t rear sprocket, I was just wondering if I would be able to use my stock chain or is it going to be to short? Also can I use the stock stock chain guide? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Yes on the chain guide, stock will work fine. What gearing does the bike have now? How worn is the current chain and how many links is it? You don't want to put a new sprocket on with a worn chain or you'll wear out the sprocket very quickly. Chain and sprocket should be replaced as a unit generally. You'll likely go through a few CS sprockets for each rear/chain, though.

It would be cheaper and easier to go to a 13 on the front --->> 4 tooth larger in the rear is about the same as going 1 tooth smaller in the front. Not to mention that you will most likely have to add a link or 2 when adding so many teeth in the rear.

Thanks guys Im gonna run 13 up front for the next week or two then once I can get some cash go with a 52/14t and a new chain. I would keep the 13t but I have heard stories of eating up chains and guides like candy. Thanks again