Sign in to follow this  

Need a 2005 drz400s repair manual!!!!

Hi. I am in desparate need of a repair/service manual for 2005 drz400s. I have been searching for one on ebay at at motocycle stores but have been unlucky so far. Either on cd or in a book form. Can anyone help??Thanks in advance!!!

you could use the manual for model years 2000-2004. Not much has changed. I got mine in PDF format on e-bay for $30. It's worth it's weight in gold.

Sorry Bryan, it's not my web page. I just copied the link from a previous post.

Mike -

Bryan's right to be cautious. But I would be surprised if TT were ever pursued in the courts for a LINK published on here. The breach of copyright is surely being done by the site to whom the link points? :applause:

Also I think it would be very callous of Suzuki to jump on any of us for owning a copy of the service manual. I believe that, by buying the bike, I have a right to the information needed to maintain it.

After all, does Suzuki's right to keep its service manual "dealer only" or to sell it to me for a huge sum supercede my right to have grease in my swingarm bearings and headstock?

Cheers

Ian

I'm with you Suzuki needs to worry a whole lot more about grease than they do manuals. I'd try and find one by sombody else first and buy one from them as a last resort. If it sounds like I don't like the suzy corp your right. They are nothing but jackals. A more screwed up company I couldn't find, I wonder at how they make such good bikes. They must have super employeees because management is for the stool and a pluger to get them down. pdawg :applause::eek:🙂😛😛

The price of the Suzuki manual is less than cost of what a single college textbook costs and waaaaaay less than what I paid for the manuals for my car, so as far as cost goes, it is "reasonable." It is less than what I paid for a single tire, my bars, my chain, a couple of pieces of plastic, and so on.

Anyone that tries to justify the use of pirated (yes, pirated) materials is just trying to make excuses for what is in reality theft. If your are going to do it, please don't try to persuade us that the use is reasonable when it is not. If you want Suzuki to include it when no other car or motorcyle manufacturer does, then ask them to tack on an extra $50 to the price of your bike or work it into the deal.

I'm on a huge soap box here and eveytime I see something like this I like to think about how I would explain this to my 5-year old. In this case I can't.

Bryan's right to be cautious. But I would be surprised if TT were ever pursued in the courts for a LINK published on here. The breach of copyright is surely being done by the site to whom the link points? :applause:

Also I think it would be very callous of Suzuki to jump on any of us for owning a copy of the service manual. I believe that, by buying the bike, I have a right to the information needed to maintain it.

After all, does Suzuki's right to keep its service manual "dealer only" or to sell it to me for a huge sum supercede my right to have grease in my swingarm bearings and headstock?

Cheers

Ian

I think theft is a bit strong. If I copy a Clymer manual to assist me in fixing my broken DRZ, that's theft. But copying the manufacturers manual is entirely different when you need it to rectify shortcomings in its own product, as mentioned.

I could list hundreds of IT products for which manuals are freely available on the Internet. In fact, if Suzuki sold their manual on PDF for a few quid, I'd have bought it. And I bet it costs a damn sight more that a college book (whatever that costs) here in the UK. In fact, I bet the same thing costs double here what it costs in the US!

By the way, you do have the rights to use the photograph on your avatar, do you?

Ian

I'm with you Suzuki needs to worry a whole lot more about grease than they do manuals. I'd try and find one by sombody else first and buy one from them as a last resort. If it sounds like I don't like the suzy corp your right. They are nothing but jackals. A more screwed up company I couldn't find, I wonder at how they make such good bikes. They must have super employeees because management is for the stool and a pluger to get them down. pdawg :eek:😛😛😛😛

Well pdawg...I wish you'd quit sugar-coating your true feelings from us. You really should express yourself more forcefully. 🙂:applause:😛:snore:😛:mad::snore:

On another note, I had a *official* CD from BMW to work on my GS. I ended up getting the paper manual anyway because I can't really use the CD out in my garage. What good are the pix or the step by step on a CD? You need to print them anyway.

I suggest that the OP and others just call the TT store or RoyAyers and order a paper manual. They aren't expensive. You get 100% back the first thing you do - even an oil change if you compare it to going to a service tech.

As to dawg's comment, I can't agree. The solution to you being dissatisfied with a product is to not buy that product again. You being dissatisfied isn't a justification for theft.

Or spend almost 1/3 of the price and buy it from kawasaki :applause:

There are several parts that are cheaper from the green guys as well, most are the same price but there is money to be saved by looking.

Funny how everyone needs to justify their decision to download a copyrighted manual; it's too expensive, they have a crappy product, they are corporate a%$holes and no one gets hurt, it shold be free, some companies post their product manuals online in electronic form for free.

They are not explanations, but excuses. Everyone knows making a copy of a store rented DVD is wrong and no matter how much you hate movie companies and the millions they make, paying $20 for a store bought DVD, or $9.00 to see a movie in a theater, making that copy is wrong. Go ahead and justify it so you can sleep at night, but like I said before, if you can't explain it to my 5-year old in a way that makes sense, there is something wrong.

but like I said before, if you can't explain it to my 5-year old in a way that makes sense, there is something wrong.

Let me give you a hand:

Son, it's OK to steal if, AND ONLY IF, you feel you're being robbed by having to pay for something that's rightfully yours. Like having to pay £50 extra (I'm guessing that's what they charge in the UK) for a book that tells you how to correct build inadequacies on the £4000 motorcycle you bought from them last week.

In addition, members must not post any copyrighted material, without the permission of the copyright holder.

The link is not copyrighted material. It's analogous to posting directions to illegal off-road riding areas: publishing the directions doesn't constitute trespassing and publishing links to copyrighted material doesn't constitute copyright violation. Perhaps some language about "contributory copyright infringement" in the board rules would help clarify your intentions.

Anyone that tries to justify the use of pirated (yes, pirated) materials is just trying to make excuses for what is in reality theft.

No, it is not theft. It is copyright violation -- despite what the MPAA and RIAA would have you believe. Theft is illegally taking personal property belonging to another with the purpose of depriving the owner of its possession. When one violates copyright, they are not depriving the owner of their personal property.

As an aside, Suzuki turns a blind eye to this kind of thing. Ebay is littered with ads for motorcycle manuals on CD. The same people post identical ads for months at a time. One letter from Suzuki would get a seller shut down -- but it doesn't happen. Suzuki manuals are published in small quantities and that's one reason why they cost so much. Another reason is that dealers don't want people doing their own service, so they would be up in arms if Suzuki started selling the manuals for $10. Legality aside, I think that Suzuki recognizes that they are a manufacturer, not a publisher, and that their profits come from selling bikes and parts, not books.

I don't consider it stealing, more like sharing information, or borrowing, temporarily. Like at the library. I wouldn't resell for profit (thats when it becomes stealing to me), and when the DRZ is gone I will have no use for the manual (hence temporary). More like taking out a library book, but using todays technology to do it. If I went to the dealer they would freely give me information taken from the manual, then if I write down what they told me is that stealing? :eek: If a tech learns something from a manual and then shares that info in a forum such as this, is that stealing if he types it, knowing someone could copy/paste it? Are there limits, all info you can keep in your head is fine? It's o.k. to write down, but don't scan/copy? 1 or 2 pages is o.k. but not a chapter? All books etc. are copywritten, so why are there photocopiers at the library? :applause: Call it justifying, fine with me. Too confusing to worry about.

My 2 cents.

Mike -

OK, how will stealing the manual help a bad ACCT? Why not steal a new DRZ while you are at it?

Your remedy is to not buy from Zook again or take it to court, but it's not to steal the manual. By using copyright material, you do steal - but you steal intellectual (intangible) property. You steal because you have taken instead of buying.

I don't consider it stealing, more like sharing information, or borrowing, temporarily. Like at the library. I wouldn't resell for profit (thats when it becomes stealing to me), and when the DRZ is gone I will have no use for the manual (hence temporary). More like taking out a library book, but using todays technology to do it. If I went to the dealer they would freely give me information taken from the manual, then if I write down what they told me is that stealing? :eek: If a tech learns something from a manual and then shares that info in a forum such as this, is that stealing if he types it, knowing someone could copy/paste it? Are there limits, all info you can keep in your head is fine? It's o.k. to write down, but don't scan/copy? 1 or 2 pages is o.k. but not a chapter? All books etc. are copywritten, so why are there photocopiers at the library? :applause: Call it justifying, fine with me. Too confusing to worry about.

My 2 cents.

Mike -

The use of copyrighted material depends on the copyrighter. Here, Zook, the copyright holder forbids this 'sharing'. It has the right to do so just like you have the right to forbid me from coming into your house and watching your TV. I can argue that I am not stealing the TV or harming it or your house, but these items are YOUR property to do with as YOU please. They aren't there for me to do with what I please if I think you are a bad person or greedy or produce bad ACCT's.