Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter spring? damage?

I had a new Scotts reusable steel oil filter installed by a bike shop. I have just changed my oil after 5 hours of riding. I noticed that they left out the spring that pushes the oil filter onto the rubber gasket when they installed the filter :applause: . The bike is relatively new, +/- 10hrs in total.

Is there any reason to be concerned about possible damage to the engine or pumps? If yes, is there anything than can be done to minimize the damage?

I would guess the only issue without having the spring installed is less oil flowed through the filter during that period. There shouldn't be any damage if you caught it fast enough.

Do a full oil change and make sure you put the spring on, it should be fine. Use a magnetic sump bolt aswell

Thanks mxman502 and Rotaholic.

Where do you get a magnetic oil plug from? Sounds like a good idea.

If it was in there from new, it should be used, so give your guys a shoutin at!

As someone else mentioned, as long as you caught it early you might be all right, but I'd say put it back in asap!

Did the filter clean up all right? I'm thinking of getting one... how dio you clean it thoroughly?

Cheers

John

Did the filter clean up all right? I'm thinking of getting one... how dio you clean it thoroughly?

Cheers

John

It cleaned up fine. There wasn't too much in it though. It was my third filter used in 5hours. The first two were the disposable paper filters. I'm hoping they caught most of the debris from break in. I used some petrol to clean the filter it doesn't take long either. I definitely think the reusable filters make sense as long as you install it yourself.