Sign in to follow this  

last time I promise.... 50 or 70

Just rather lost on weather to upgrade the 50 or stick with the 70 ....

Tha 70 has limited suspension mods... and is really really really heavy...

What are all your kids riding.... You know when they start at 4 years old.. by the time they are big enough for a 70.... it ends up being a big disappointment...Are kids riding these upgraded 50's or just big kids???

I know about the gearing changes for the 70 ....but it is still a pig

Personally.......If your kid has the balance, throttle control, and all that (and is big enough 4 the bike). Go with an 80(CRF).

They'll ride it several years, where as they will most likely get bored with another auto-clutch! The size is the same.......Or at least SOOOOOOO close it wont matter.

my boy started on the 50 at 3 - then moved up to the 70 at 5 - he just turned 6 and really wants a clutch bike now :applause:

My 7yr old son is on a 04' CRF50. I have put the 88cc overbore w/ everything else in the power dept. stock. He needs a suspension upgrade. I tried the Applied rear spring and it is too STIFF.

I am leaning toward a KTM for his next bike because it seems to come stock with the power and suspension that he needs. I am just unsure about my budget for it's sticker price and it's maintenance schedule.

With the price of 50's with 1k of mods going for 1k to 1.5k already done you may want to consider selling your staock on and buying one just like you want it.

My kid started on an XR70 at age 7 he just turned 9 and is about to start riding the XR80 I have in the garage waiting for him. One day he rode that 70 about 65 miles out at Cal City (Randsburg and back). The 70 rips around pretty good. He has even jumped it a few times. I don't understand what is with the difficult decision on what to buy or have ones kid ride? as long as the kid is enjoying himself is really all that matters. The XR70 is hardly a pig. Now what I ride is a pig.

I have decided!!!! I am sticking with the 70.... putting the HTB 88 Racehead kit. Rev box, Exhaust and a new set of tires...and the BBR dampers and springs next year.

When he gets a little bigger.... I will be looking into a used KX65 next year...

Not to replace the 4 stroke just to augment it....Every body should have at least one 2 smoker!!!!! 😛😛😛:mad:😛:applause:😛:eek:😛🙂

Sounds like a great idea... your son should be happy with that decision. Just tell him he will eventually have two bikes instead of just one and he will flip.

I don't think I need a smoker... you can keep those screamers to yourself. I will stick to my thumpers. They maybe a little more difficult to work on but easier to ride.