Sign in to follow this  

Fed up with difficult starting

Okay, I know this has been over a thousand times before, but what's the final work on what can be done to make starting easier after a tipover?

I raced a harescramble last sunday and got my rear handed to me beacuse I couldn't restart my bike. In the middle of a gnarly single-track boulder-infested hillclimb, I had to kick about three dozen times to get restarted. This is all with other riders literally riding over my bike, and oh yeah, I'm exhausted. Then after stalling out in the water crossing, It took me 20 minutes to get the thing running again -- 10 just to get it started, and another 10 to get it past idle without stalling. I don't know why that was, the airbox and filter were dry. I love my little XR, but at this moment I'm ready to trade it in on a CRF/X or a KTM EXC just to get e-start.

I hear rumors how a Hotcam or a pumper carb helps. Is this true? Which one, or both, would be better? As far as I can tell, current jetting is spot on --runs like a champ and starts on the second kick when cold. Any other suggestions?

Have you tried using the decompression lever when you flood it to clear it out. I've never really used that method but I know others have with success. Thankfully my bike started like a champ all race long. I think the drill goes, pull the decompression lever, kick the bike over a few times with the throttle wide open. Good luck.

pretty much as described above

pull the decompressor lever , hold throttle WIDE OPEN , hold the killswitch if you can and crank over at least 10 times , once you've done that , let go of the decomp ever and kill switch,don't let go of the throttle keep it wide open, crank normally it should fire up, if it does'nt do the drill again.

I hear rumors how a Hotcam or a pumper carb helps. Is this true? Which one, or both, would be better? As far as I can tell, current jetting is spot on --runs like a champ and starts on the second kick when cold. Any other suggestions?

I can answer one part ,the part about the Hotcam is not a rumour , it makes a good difference, BUT does not resolve hotstart issues , starting after a stall is a routine which you have to develop. I understand your frustration. I was in a similar situation 4 yrs ago, i stopped so suddenly in a hare scrambles in a single track section to avoid a fallen rider,the guy behind me hit me so hard my hands flew off the levers and i hot stalled it, took me 5 minutes to get it going. Waht i find with the hotcam it breathes alot better

and this routine is down to a few seconds instead of minutes

stu

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I dropped my bike at the bottom of a descent. Took me 10 minutes to restart. I used every techinque that had been written about and the pig would not restart.

Bought an Edelbrock ($400), that took care of the restart problems. You get slightly better all around performance but not $400 worth.

I almost sold my bike because of the restart issue.

you might give Summers racing a call.. They are good people and know ever trick there is I bet,,,, Let us know what the say .... :applause:

XR's Only also makes a "hotstart switch". I was always curious if that has helped anyone. Cheaper than the pumper, for sure ($75). Theory is that you can get some clean, cool air into the combustion chamber and it will fire right up. Anyone try this gadget? Bottom of this page: XR's only hotstart switch

IMHO: The Hotcams cam with the auto decompression system removed made my bikes starting characteristics extremely predictable. Not to mention the top end improvement.

Just to support the correctly tuned carburetor angle, I've never had a hard time starting, cold or hot. I do try and recover as soon as possible and kill it. First thing I grab when I return to conscienceness is the kill switch. I re jetted according to some instructions I had in an old Baja Designs catalog when I did the Gordon's thing. Can't remember what size is where now though.

...and another thing, I never use ANY throttle when starting, hot or cold. Maybe this is due to the pilot jet being dead on. I don't know. I'm not a carb whiz.

Has anyone tried a iCat on a 250 to see if it helps the hot start problem? The review/test on the 400 said it helped starting on the stock bike...but no mention of hot/cold...

I almost sold my bike because of the restart issue.

Funny, that's how I got the bike! My buddy bought it new in '02, put on about 40 miles, couldn't start it, and wanted to get rid of it. I was selling a 96 ZX-6R, he wanted a streetbike, I wanted a dirtbike, so we swapped.

I found the easiest way to restart mine after laying it over is to hold the throttle wide open and give it a few good kicks,

if your bike is stock. the best thing to do is hold the throttle wide open, pull the manuel decomp fully. then kick the bike about 3-5 kicks. then release the throttle and decomp and it should fire right up.

otherwise if you get the Ebrock as i did the bike always starts on the first kick even after a fall. i usually hold the decomp when hot to get through the compression stroke. after you pass the compression stroke it kicks through very easily.

my bike starts so easily with the ebrock i dont even care anymore that i dont have Estart. 1 kick is all it takes to get it running.

SOunds like a lot of TTr's read the Scott Summers starting procedure in dirt rider magazine years ago.. The one thing he adds is to keep your hand off of the throttle after you've cleared the cylinder, in order to keep it closed when you are doing the starting kicks.

I had pulled hole-shots in desert races on my stock '97 XR400 using the Scott Summers starting procedure. There was never a time that I couldn't get my 400 started.

I have the Ty Davis hot start on my 01 xr280 and have had some pretty nasty get-offs. The bike always starts witnin 3-5 kicks.

We have both and XR440 and an XR300 with Edelbrock Quiksliver carbs. First, they rarely die. They will run for at least a minute with the bikes on their sides, but if they do die, they are really easy to restart. Performance is a better, but the improved starting both hot and cold was worth the $ for us.

RH