Sign in to follow this  

you wrench but do not mount tires?

in a recent thread many of you thumpettes state you work on your bike

but

quite a number does refuse to mount tires

why so?

I have wrenched for many years and still hate to change tires. Any way I could get out of it I would. They are a pain in the ass to do for the most part. Sorry I had to drop in and post this.

No way! I would rather pay someone $10.00!! I love working on my bike and helping with the old mans bike but that is not something I care to muscle!

After a number of pinch flats, I decided it's just something I'm not capable of and practice seemed only to be reinforcing my ineptitude so I guess this is just something I'll have to continue to be a helpless American female about.

I learned from my friends who do change them (all guys) everyone of them has pinched a tube and gotten bloody knuckles and headaches. No one wants to help me do it and usually I can get it done quickly for not too much $$.

Mounting tires is easy if you have the right tools. I use a big barrell, lots of W-d40 and about 4 tire irons. I think I can change a tire in 15 minutes now.

I do my own tires...it's my least favorite thing to do, but I just don't have the time to take them to a shop and have them do it when I can do it myself in 15-20 min.

Mounting tires is easy if you have the right tools. I use a big barrell, lots of W-d40 and about 4 tire irons. I think I can change a tire in 15 minutes now.

yeah. agreed. admittedly, you might break a nail or something the first time, but if you know what you're doing, it's pretty darned easy. i volunteer to show anyone how i change tires for a 6-pack. i'm sure ktmchick's way is even better, since it usually takes me 20-ish minutes per tire, but after taking the old tire off i usually take a break and open a beer.

admittedly, you might break a nail or something

Well then, FORGET IT! :eek:🙂

Honestly I don't own the tools and neither does my boyfriend... and every time we think about buying them, we just look at each other, shrug, and say 'screw it' and take the tire in, which costs less than buying the tools... its just a messy, dirty job, that can end up costing you more (in pinched tubes) in in the end by doing it yourself than having someone else do it for you in the begining... so, after applying a cost/benefit analysis, its to the moto-shop we go! :applause:

say 'screw it' and take the tire in, which costs less than buying the tools... its just a messy, dirty job, that can end up costing you more (in pinched tubes) in in the end by doing it yourself than having someone else do it for you in the begining.

that cost/benefit analysis only applies under the following assumptions:

1) you only ride places you can reasonably ride out of with a flat

2) you assume you will never be able to learn to change a tire reliably.

3) you plan far enough ahead to always be able to get your wheel into the shop and get tires put on in time for your vacation or whatever.

the tools i use to change a tire are a few tire irons ($5 or so each), some wd40, some baby powder, a bucket, a rubber mallet, an old bicycle toe-strap and a beer. pretty minimal investment, especially considering i go through 6-8 tires per year. the first 2 times i changed tires i pinched each tube (front and rear) once each. that was annoying, but i just patched them. by the 3rd time, i got it right and i have only ever pinched one tube since in 30-ish tire changes. having someone show you the tricks can shorten your learning curve.

i felt pretty nervous when i first got into dirtbiking until i did my first change, just so i was confident i could fix a flat if i had to. i think every rider should learn how to change a tire. once you know how to do it, i suppose it's a personal decision as to whether or not you want to keep doing it.

I might be able to muddle through if it was an emergency situation, but I wouldn't like it none.

As for doing it at home, I simply can't afford the good tire irons, a tire stand, etc. I would love to have a shop set up but I have neither the space nor the money.

What is a big barrell??? Do you change just the tube or do you do both?? I hate it and still trying to find the trick.

While changing a tire I can only think that i should be payng some one to do this, but when I am done I realize why i don't pay anyone.

What is a big barrell??? Do you change just the tube or do you do both?? I hate it and still trying to find the trick.

it's a tall semi-cylindrical object. sometimes used to store pickles, whiskey or monkeys (hopefully not all three). remove the pickles, whiskey, and/or monkeys before using as a tire-changing stand.

i use a 5-gallon plastic bucket. i personally don't see why someone would pay money for a tire-changing stand when a bucket that costs $3 at home depot works just fine, and can also be used to stand on, sit on, and carry things in (not monkeys). i just set the wheel on the bucket, so either the disk or the sprocket fits inside and the wheel is resting on the spokes.

i remove the old tire and tube, wipe everything down, put the new tire on 1 side, then put the old tube back in. my secret tube trick is to remove the valve stem, and use something convenient and non-sharp (a 4mm bondhus-head allen-wrench, in my case) stuck through the hole in the rim and into the valve-stem to guide the stem through the rim.

the best tool you can possibly have for changing tires is a friend (actually the best tool for many tasks). use the friend to hold down 2 tire levers so you can work on the 3rd, or keep the tire bead down in the center channel of the rim to create more slack as you work your way around the rim, or notice when you are getting cranky and frustrated and suggest a drink so you don't pinch a tube.

I've never pinched a tube (knock on wood because I'm changing my tires tonight for a race on the weekend!) Lots of WD40 greatly reduces this risk!

Ah..ha.. Big Barrel... Thought there was some type of trick tool on the market like the big barrel brand tire iron.. he he.. thanks .. now I feel like a super idiot.

I hate doing tires.....one of my first jobs as a teen was at a tire shop....changing about 100 tires a day. now the thought of it makes me cringe. They go right along with seat covers, and air filters. (air filters i i do myself though)

I use an old 55 gallon drum. (My cousin works in demolition and he hooked me up.) Don't worry, the drum is clean and empty, so there is no contamination going on. I change either the tube if it's flat or the tire if I need a new tire.

Here's a pic of our Tire Changing set-up in Baja

smLlantera.jpg

As for me changing them- I've done it with help but I have next to zero hand strength and I'd way rather just bribe the guys with beers and get them to do it.

I will do it I have too........but I don't like it.........who does?

I was taking Trelleborgs off last February when the tire iron flew and hit me in the forehead :applause:.........also my knees were bleeding and so were my knuckles (the studs are SHARP). The sidewalls on Trellies are incredibly thick.

There was another person involved but he got so frustrated he went back in the house after snapping two irons (our good irons were loaned out and not yet returned). 😛 Probably a good thing he did cause a minute longer and I would have impaled him with the tire iron I had in my hand 🙂..........j/k. Its much easier if there are two people.

I am investing in one of those hitch mount tire changing stands, the bucket just does not cut it sometimes. It takes alot of strength to get the Trellies off even after heating them up, the bucket slides around.

Paddle tires are a breeze compared to the studded tires.

:eek: